Colors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm finally getting my lettering on my trailer. I know what I want to say, but I got to pick a color.

The trailer is gray...basic flat industrial gray and I can't change that part.

Gray is alright. It has equal appeal to men and women, is perceived to be honest, conservative and open.

I like blue, but then I read that blue is an appetite surpressing color, not good for selling food. Now that I think about it, the only food establishment that I can think of that uses blue is White Castle. A proven point on the appetite surpressing qualities! White Castle is awful!!! I know an ice cream store that uses blue, but the cool nature of ice cream makes sense there.

I don't think there'd be enough contrast between the gray with white lettering. Black would be too...uninteresting.....on the gray background. Yellow too hard to read, orange too annoying, red maybe, but seems too harsh. Thinking dark green.

Black with highlights of another color might be ok, but then I don't want to detract from the message with color. Maybe an oval (ovals are highly appealing to men and women, more so than other shapes) colored frame around black text? Red frame, black words? Green frame, red words? Nah...too complicated.

I'm going to put my name, phone number and one basic statement, "100% Natural-Farm-Direct", in the oval. Other information will be listed in the corners...such as "delivery available" "no order too small" etc.

Anyone have any thoughts? I only have one shot at this one. It's easier to add stuff later than to take off something (plus that's wasted money).

In case anyone thinks I'm nuts for worrying so much about colors....I just bought guerilla marketing...great book. I highly recommend it to anyone trying to have any kind of business, especially if you don't have any money. Colors and shapes are just one thing he touches on in there. The one I have is a bit outdated, but his predictions are right on for today's world.

Jena

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I think blue would blend in with the gray a bit too much. You may be stuck with black or red because of the background color. All of the rest of what you mention fit's what I have heard about color choice. If you wanted to really stand out you would need to get rid of the gray. :)

I had not heard the ideas about shapes. That's interesting. Maybe take a piece of butcher paper and put the design on it to try it out before choosing. It helps me to see it for real first - standing back where you want customers to notice.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Green with brown accent on the letters (organic, natural, good for you) and a tad of black framing, then add some kind of logo thingie with some yellow and red AND green and brown. Once you figure your logo, that is.

Yellow and red are good for the appetite.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Do you have farm colors? a logo? Make sure that what ever colors you choose you can get a shirt and embroidery in those colors.

For instance Maroon and Gold, Green and White, Blue and Yellow or what ever colors you have chosen. You could say White shirt and Green Letterning, then use a painted White background and use the Same color Green lettering on the trailer or have a 'Banner" sign you hang up on the trailer. Use a Easy-Up tent in front of your trailer to give shade to your customers and place the banner on the front of this.

By having a Shirt to match a banner, people tend to look for your shirt or your banner, the trailer becomes part of the background.

Also if you have any packages products, your color and logo should be stamped/printed on your bags or labels. Place your logo on paper bags (name , phone number or email address or ??) stamped on the bag (can be accomplished with a simple rubber stamp to start). Plastic bags with handles are so convenient to carry around but I am not sure how to get them stamped with a logo. People walking around with your information is the best advertisement.

Jena Farms
    "100% Natural-Farm-Direct"
    phone number

Keep us posted on your venture! this sounds very exciting.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Orange and brown together promotes food thoughts.

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I have seen red lettering shadow trimmed in black that looks great on gray. The red catches the eye while the black shadowing makes it stand out and easier to read.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the people who read the sign have two or three seconds to do it in. You aren't going to do anything to their appitite or eye appeal in that much time. Being easy to read from a distance is the most important thing to consider. The easiest sign to read I've ever seen is the chartruse sign with black lettering that many of the schools now have at crossings. Many people are color blind and for most of them red, green, brown, and dark grey all blend together. If you put a Chartruse oval with black lettering on it large enough to see from at least 50 yards, people will see it.

To check out what you like best, put the sign on a piece of paneling or something similar and put a couple metal screws in it to hold it onto where you think they should go. If it don't suit you unscrew it.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hopefully this will show my butcher's trailer lettering. New phot hosting for me so we'll see.[​IMG]

9. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I don't know how cost effective it would be, but you can go with magnet signage that if you got tired of or wanted to change this or that would be alot easier than a new paint job. Just a thought. :)

10. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with a Pink color [​IMG] like this. I hope this opens.

I would put a green trim around it. That way you would have green like grass and fields and a pink like you might see in a beautiful sunset.

11. palongrifle

palongrifle Active Member

Orange and brown are good colors - ask Burger King. I also agree with green and brown for it "earthy" tone. Whatever you decide do NOT go with a single color plus grey - looks cheap, also no homemade job on the lettering - leave that to a professional. Lettering and one simple graphic works great - simple, honest, and to-the-point. Not knowing the value of gray you used, I'm guessing that a mid brown with an orange outline on the letters with a simple graphic - maybe a maple leaf or some type of fruit/veggie. Please, no cornicopia - too cliche. My credentials you ask, former Graphic Designer for GE, and former High School Art Teacher. Currently a rebel, tired of gov.t spending MY money... to feed the hungery overseas while ours starve too, military pending, buying foreign "friends" for airspace to fly OVER them.
    PS - the STEELERS are kicking some MAJOR butt as we speak - lol

12. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I saw on pbs once that red stimulates the appetite, that's why so many resteraunts decorate with that color.

other than that, forest green says farm grown fresh produce to me. and I like ovals.

mel-

13. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Good advice, especially Uncle's! I'll never get to tempt them into buying if they can't read the darn sign!

I've been driving around looking at signs. Black and white with a bit of red really stands out and catches the eye. I found one gray sign with black letters. It actually had a sort of elegant feel to it, but it was a lighter gray. I'm not shooting for elegant anyways...

I am having this professionally done. I have a hard enough time writing on my dry erase boards. I have zero artistic talent!

I like the butcher's trailer. He has more room to work with, but I like it.

I'm going tomorrow and have been working on publisher to try and make at least two different designs to take with me.

Jena