Colored watering pans

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by jdoss, May 10, 2005.

1. jdoss

jdoss Member

This is a new thread, but it is actually a response to an older thread at the end of this forum. I read the post yesterday. It dealt with sheep not drinking out of certain colors of buckets. I couldn't see how sheep would know what color bucket to drink or not to drink out of. I have three purebred Suffolk ewes about 4 months old, and I have had a their water in a black 10 gallon rubber watering pan from the feed store. They drank out of it for the first week and a half that I had them. I went up to the barn yesterday, and they were just laying around. Usually they jump up and run around wanting to eat. I carry their water in a yellow 5 gallon bucket. They had not touched their water from the evening before. I dumped the water out of the black pan and put fresh water in it. Two of them came over and smelled of the water in the black pan and went and layed back down. The third one came over and tried to get the little remaining water out of the yellow bucket. Then I remembered the message I read on this forum. I went and got a 2 1/2 gallon orange bucket out of the feed building and filled it with water. Two of them immediately came over and drank about half the bucket in 2-3 minutes. I went and got another orange bucket and filled it up. All together they probably drank 2 gallons in about two minutes. The only thing I can figure out is the color of the buckets. The black bucket was new. Does anybody have any comments or episodes like this? Thanks!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The only thign I can think of is they either see the water in a black bucket as contaminated, or they lose their depth preception.

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Maybe they don't like the rubber scent that those black buckets have.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have black plastic mineral lick tubs they dislike equally and half black barrels so it seems to be the colour thing here.

5. len

len Well-Known Member

a lot of my pails came from the bulk food store, $1 a piece, white plastic. My sheep definitely prefer to drink from light coloured pails.

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Could it be that the black retains heat so the water in the feed tubs won't stay cool and fresh as long as it would in a lighter colored container? I know I try to use black buckets in the winter and white in the summer, I know it does affect water temp. ... whether the sheep would be concerned with it I just can't say.

7. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

My sheep are happy to eat grain and hay out of black tubs. They water out of galvanized tubs.