Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a landscape job for a customer who's colorblind. The project is a nice rock garden. He wants it colorful and cheerful, and plants that are tough, hardy and drought resisitant. The garden will be watered once a week or less, no coddling or fussing. The garden already has a variety of sedums, thymes, a few different types of hen and chicks (he really likes them so I'll probably get more), a long groundcover vine with yellow flowers and roundish lime green levaes, and an artemesia or two.

He says that he likes flowers that are orange and yellow, and a pale blue is also nice. Red is very hard for him to see, as I noticed his strawberries were all ripe and not picked.

If you're colorblind, what flowers are the most attractive for you, what would you suggest for this garden? Our winters get down to -20, so it needs to be cold hardy.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Maybe if you think more in terms of darks and lights it would save trying to figure out what looks good to him. It would be a noticeable contrast with the colors he can see. So,some white flowering plants or plants with variegated leaves, and then something with very dark flowers or leaves

Pauline

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
He might like day lilies - they have the added benefit of having tasty flowers too. :) They come in many shades of yellow through red and are pretty tough. I have good luck with lilies too. There are many types of thyme and of sedums, etc. Small evergreens might at a nice textural change. I really enjoy California poppies in close up spaces, they reseed every year pretty well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am color blind. It is hard for me to distinguish between reds/greens/ and browns. I can see a bright red as red, firetruck red or barn red for example is what I see as a red. Brown and greens tend to blend together....alfalfa is green, John Deere tractors are green.

My wife likes to quiz me on what color I see as red green or brown, as a comparative to what she sees. What she sees as a green car may look red or brown to me, it gets confusing but keeps her entertained for hours. :shrug:

She also has several beautiflu flower gardens here on our small farm, the flowers that I like are the ones that I can see...yellow, white, purple and lavendar are the easiest for me to look at and enjoy.

Since you are looking for something that the color blind client can see (that is color blind on one of the colors I am...red) and easy to take care of (drought resistant) I'd suggest Lavendar, Coreopsis, Wild Geranium, Cushion spurge, Russian sage and adjuga.

I am not sure of correct spelling so you might need to check into that.

Good luck, I hope it turns out for your customer.

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
Hmmm my brother is red/green color blind and feels the only color that he sees as we see is blue. So he can tell when the sky is extra blue and when his jeans are faded but most other colors are shades of gray. Sooooo I am thinking that any flower with lots of blue tones would be good, also whites and creams. sis

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, one of my problems is that he wants the garden to be "colorful, make it cheerful". But I cannot concieve of what it might look like with red-green color blindness.

Wait...my dad is colorblind. I'll call him.

I think for today I'll just work on the steps of the garden, choose plants another day.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
I think, but am not sure, there are different types of color-blindness...different colors that cannot be seen.
But, nevertheless, why not take him books with colored photos and see what he likes that are suitable for his location.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Just about all of the color blind people I know can see the color yellow best. Red and green look much the same, found that out by riding with my father who is color blind, when we went through a town where the red was the bottom light on the signals.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I checked out the ajuga at the plant store, went and worked on the rock garden, and noticed...that it has ajuga well established. That's good. :)
Ashman, are you able to see the blooms on the wild geranium? Mine bloom in pink, my dad says that pink is almost like red for him, hard to see.

The garden also has a lot of thyme, sedum, Hen and Chicks (sempervivium), and some sort of mint. I have marjoram galore here, so I think I'll take some of that over, perhaps culinary sage will work? I'm noticing that they like aromatic/useful plants. Coreopsis, lavender....yeah. Those will be perfect too, and the Russian sage is dirt cheap on sale right now! Lewisia is fairly tough, little, native, and can have yellow or orange flowers...

They also want me to plant small perennial flower bulbs in the fall. This is going to be a lot of fun. I shoung have taken a picture, finished the steps today. Thank you all for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
chamoisee said:
Ashman, are you able to see the blooms on the wild geranium? Mine bloom in pink, my dad says that pink is almost like red for him, hard to see.
My dad was red/green colour blind, and my mother had a pink sweater that she really liked. She was always annoyed when my father referred to it as "dirty white". He always said yellow was his favourite colour because he could see it well.

Jennifer

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
I use to work for a universities Grounds Department. The guy there in charge of bed designs was color blind...he only saw in black and white! The gardens they were spectacular...he used lots of texture. Tall grasses with feathery tops, mid level things with large solid leaves and then color in front, for example. He used lots of grasses. They were very unique and pleasing to the eye...his and the non-color blind.

So, think texture too!

·
Registered
77 Posts
chamoisee said:
Our wild geranium has purple flowers which I can see just fine, don't know if it is purple to everyone else, but it is beautiful to me.

A note on traffic lights....quite often I ask my wife to help me out when driving in the city.....the street lights look like a go for me...even if the street light is red.

Also a point of Trivia....the color blind gene is passed on by the mother to her son if her dad was color blind in most cases.

In other words, my grandfather on my moms side was color blind..that is where I inherited it....if my daughter had lived it is a possibillity she would pass it on to her son (not to a daughter)

Neither of my sons are color blind.

·
Registered
12,453 Posts
I second what Ohio dreamer said. Texture, texture & more texture. Bright vs. dull. Play off smooth large leaves with pine needles. Dusty Miller (soft & furry) with something else. Some grasses have beautiful plumes. Varigated leaves... cork screw branches... There's more to gardening than just flowers.

What a challenge! Have fun!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Colour blindness varies quite a bit. Ny Dad was colour blind and so is my son. However my dads was red related and our sons is shade related he can see strong vibrant colours in all shades but when shades come into a certain scale they are reversed. He sees most yellows as orange, white looks pink, royal blue as purple and the same in reverse. However out most funny moment occured a few eyars ago whe we were visiting my parents ad my dad asked J to bring up a wheelbarrow mind you there were two down in the yard. J asks which one my dad says the grey one J grabs the other one dad yells wrong one the gray one! this scenerio continues for severla minutes til we were cracking up and dad tunrs to us and barks whats so funny? We reply ask him what colour the plastic wheelbarrow is (which was the grey one dad wanted) and J replies it was blue! Dad says no its grey J says its blue we just told dad to tell J to bring the plastic one rather than the metla one..problem solved and J wanted to know why granddad didnt say so in the first place.. dad knew J was colourblind but assumed they shared the same type!!LOL

Best thing ti to try to stick with the desired colours he wants and use different textures to round out the landscaping

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Don't discount leaf shapes - when designing for someone that is color blind or not. My son is red/green color blind (thanks Dad!) and quite the gardener. He enjoys the different leaf shapes

Ferny flowers such as achillea (comes in many colors) or hardy annuals that reseed themselves such as cleome, cosmos or bachelor buttons work very well.

Strappy leaves such as daffodils, iris, day lillies are another choice.

Fuzzy leaves such as lamb's ear. Or silver leaf plants are great too.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Ashman said:
My wife likes to quiz me on what color I see as red green or brown, as a comparative to what she sees. What she sees as a green car may look red or brown to me, it gets confusing but keeps her entertained for hours. :shrug:
ROFL.....I am not alone then!!!! I love messing with my red/green colorblind hubby.....

we have had towels that matched our bathroom for prob about 3 years.....they are beige-ish and running lengthwise on each side is a hunter green stripe and right next to it is a marron stripe......a couple of months ago I said something like "grab those towels that have the red and green stripes" DH brings them to me and says "These? I thought the stripes were brown"

he also has a hard time distinguishing between black/navy/dark purple

Rachel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.