Color Question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Terry W, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

CAN someone explain the differences in the way color is defined between a "chocolate," "brown" or "castor" in the mini-Rex? I have narrowed the one little girls color down to those three...at least according to a picture site I was pointed to....

http://www.geocities.com/falls_acre_rabbits/mr-colors.html

A site I found with "verbal" descriptions was way to vague....

Terry W

2. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

chocolates will have a surface color of hersey chocolate brown and when you run your hand over the fur you will see a light gray undercolor toward the skin.

A castor will be more of a chestnut brown or mahogney and the very tips will be black with a undercolor of a slate blue- you can take a look at http://www.nmrrc.com/Varieties.htm to see what I mean by the color of the undercolor. HOpe this helps some.

3. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

I agree with BellsBunnies, and will elaborate in hopes that this will help more.

Chocolate is a self color - its the same chocolate color all over its body. It will have brown eyes

Castor is the Mini-Rex color name for chestnut agouti. Since its an agouti pattern, the hairshaft is banded, and the agouti pattern markings are present: white belly, underside of tail, inside ears, nostrils, and eye rings.
    The eyes are brown.

I don't recognize the color "brown" as a correct color name.....maybe it is in one of the breeds I am not familiar with.

So the easiest way to start identifying colors in bunz is to start by looking at the belly and underside of tail. Then you will know if its a self, shaded or agouti pattern.

If you need more help, describe her to us. :nerd:

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Will do when I pick them up next week-- I am rather excited about this--one step closer to "the farm" and hopefully, NOT the funny farm!!!

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I've raised every color in mini rex, so just post a pic and I can tell you. :) If you let me know all your colors I can also advise as to what to breed to what to get more variety, etc...