Color Pattern of Various Cross Breeds of Chicks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the likely feather pattern for cross breeds of chicks for Dark Cornish, Barred Rock, White Rock and Buff Orpington? The roosters are Dark Cornish and White Rock (and formerly a Barred Rock).
    Are there any easy patterns that might be easy to spot? Most of the 1st batch came out looking just like full barred rocks (that was when the BR roo was alive).
    Thanks, Mike

2. You can check out the chick photos at The Feathersite and see if anything looks familiar.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html

henny

3. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Thank you but I know what the pure bred chicks should look like. This second batch looks like BR and Cornish and a buff/WR or just a WR. I'd like to know what the crosses would look like normally. How dominant is the barred pattern over other solid colors, etc.

4. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

5. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

That barred pattern is pretty strong. I had some cross-breeds where a BR rooster bred some of those red egg-layer crosses that have white underneath. I got several all white hens, and a couple of roosters that looked BR except they had a reddish color under the bars. Not one came out all red - guess that color wasn't as strong. They should be an interesting bunch of chicks!
    I also had a chick that was from a white rock rooster on a dark cornish hen. He turned out all white, but had the definite body form of the cornish chickens.
    Unfortunately, he became dinner for a hawk. :waa:
    Enjoy your chicks, whatever they look like !