Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to set up a colony. I have 2 does who were raised in cages and did not adjust well to colony life period and 2 does living in the colony. They are not sisters but arrived from 2 different farms and tolerate each other. 1 of my cage does have 7 kits that need to be removed as she is due to kindled. I wondered if they could grow out in the colony now (4 weeks we've had a whoops) or if I would have to wait until they were older to introduce. How would you go about kit introduction to a colony? This doe had a Fantastic temperament and I want to keep some of her kits to replace 2 aggressive does I don't like and never bothered to introduce into the colony because of their aggressive temperament to even me.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
90% of the time you can just plop them in. Every now and then you get a doe who will kill small rabbits and kits. There's no way to tell. Usually after having a litter they quit the behavior. I'm not sure if there's any way to introduce that would guarantee you didn't have a doe attack them. I threw young juniors in my colonies to grow up all the time. It is far easier to intro before they are mature. There was just those odd times it didn't work with a particular doe or in one case a buck.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
It works best to start them together when they are very young. And we always just put them together. We have never had issues if you start them together at a young age.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you just take a deep breath and toss them in with fingers crossed? or do you stand there and watch? I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing but they're my first successful litter

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I set them down outside the carrier and watch until they run into a few does and see what happens. Make sure you have enough obstacles to break up line of sight. Rabbits get stressed about company more if they can always see each other across an open area and when they do get slightly upset they will give up chasing a rabbit they don't see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. So when do I know the fighting is an issue? I often see big red chasing little red. There are frequently tufts of fur found in the snow (hard to say whose) but neither doe is damaged and I often see them snuggling together especially when the human is approaching. Is this normal rabbit behaviour (never seen rabbits really outside of petting zoos and videos). I'm working from scratch....
Thank you for the idea of breaking up sight pattern. This makes sense. Means I can decorate my rabbit pen more :happy2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts