Colonies-Concrete area

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by TerriA, Jul 29, 2005.

1. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I bought 3 does and 2 bucks (NZWs) last fall without having enough cages for them (impulse buy at an animal auction). I have a series of pens in a barn (totally covered with chicken wire since we had raised poultry in them at one time).

I put them all in one pen for a couple of months. The pen measured about 8x8. (Concrete floor). We had some hay thrown in there along with some small cages for the does to "hide" in from the bucks. We didn't have any litters then. No fighting but lots of "doe chasing" from the bucks.

We moved them to cages and bred them and had some litters at that time, though. They were all about 5-6 months old (bucks were sibs) except one doe was a year old.

Terri

2. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

OK---The contractor estimates, as close as he can figure, that there might be enough concrete left over to do an area 6'x20' for a total of 120 sq. ft. Would that be enough for 3 does, a buck and one or two growing litters?...Joan :eek:

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I have never had a colony rabbit setup, but that should be PLENTY of space. A normal rabbit cage provides .75 square feet per pound of bunny