Colonial House

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozarkguy, May 4, 2004.

1. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

2. Cygnet

Cygnet Guest

I was not particularly impressed with Frontier House's accuracy. One biggy -- they never showed these people hunting. 1800's family in the woods would NOT have set down and tried to make a living 100% from livestock and crops. They would have taken their gun and gone hunting in the fall, and smoked what they got, or once it was cold enough, hung it frozen.

But woe if we upset the animal rights activists, eh? Must be politically correct in our history.

Leva
    (Oh, yeah, reminds me -- off to see about entering the state lottery for an elk tag.)

3. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Makes me kinda sad I never replaced the broken tv - you'll have to keep me posted if you watch - THESE kinds of 'reality shows' I like, lol - at least they are great for a laugh...

BTW - tried to respond to pm, but your box is full????

Sue

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

You guys know Oprah's on this one, right???? :):) (She wanted to do Frontier Home so bad.. they let her go this time!!:) I saw a clip.. when she shows up.. none of the others knew... This should be interesting!

5. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

From what I heard, the participants were not allowed to hunt due to some kind of regulations on the land where the filming took place. I can't remember the particulars, but will look it up and post it if anyone is interested.

It was not due to not wanting to offend the animal rights activists. :no: If that was the case they wouldn't have butchering chickens, would they?

6. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope the participants attitudes are better for this show. Although, I heard one clip advertising the program which indicated to me that's not likely. "No one's going to tell me I have to go to church". I don't understand why people sign up for these things if they aren't going to make a good attempt to do it right. The California family's behavior on Frontier House was awful. There is absolutely no way a pioneer father would have allowed his daughters to run around in their underwear or that he would have appeared in front of them in like manner. Granted underwear from then was more coverage than most CA people today ever achieve but the whole deal was not authentic.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

You know what I love (and hate) most about these shows? (Worlds Apart, Surviving The Iron Age, etc.) Nearly EVERY ONE of these people, when the time comes to return.. wish they didn't have to!!!:):)

Of couse, they always show them back in their usual 'digs' livin' it up and being a bit more appreciative; all the while swearing they'll never forget the 'experience'; but you can see them just being SUCKED back into it all. (the present, that is) (That's the 'hate' part, for me .. silly, me..) :no:

Too bad we can't all just go back... ho hum.... :waa: (she says as she reclines to watch Oprah and have a little ice cream from the freezer in her air conditioned home!) :confused:

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha:

Thanks for the heads-up Ozark Guy. I knew it was going to be on but for some reason I thought it started in June! I would have missed it!

9. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

We applied to be on the show.. Didn't make it, but thought it would have been WAY FUN!

I think it was my allergies that hurt our chances... darned ole inhalers, anyway!

AND, I don't get PBS, so I can't even watch it to see what I missed!