Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the external to internal type, just how necessary is this procedure? What are the risks of avoiding this? Possibility of severity associated with avoidance, ect?

No family previously has had a colon problem.

·
Premium Member
18,414 Posts
Let me just say this. If you do decide to have a colonoscopy, buy a roll or two of the sofest, most luxurious, TP to use during the day and night before the test....enough said.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
If you are refering to a colonoscopy, I've had 2 of them so far and will probably have 1 every 5 years for the rest of my life. The prep is less than desirable but you're pretty stoned during the procedure. I always have them take extra pictures so I can post them on the wall here at work. I appreciate that you have no history of colon cancer in your family. I still think it's worth it. It's the difference between a ployp beeing removed or months of chemo and a painful death.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Cabin Fever said:
Let me just say this. If you do decide to have a colonoscopy, buy a roll or two of the sofest, most luxurious, TP to use during the day and night before the test....enough said.
I've had 2 done will have more I'm sure. This is much better than not.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
moopups said:
No family previously has had a colon problem.
What made them decide to order it? If it's just your age without other symptoms, it may not be necessary. If you're having bleeding, then you should. I can't imagine they'd order an unnecessary one if they're VA docs, though.

...and if your problem's in your head, why are they looking up your behind? :D

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I've had two colonoscopies. Will probably be due for another one this year after I turn 50. I'm scared of everything, but really, they aren't that bad. Like someone said the prep is not that great but you are out of it for the procedure itself.

The first time I had one, I was 18 and had never had anything done to me before and I was scared out of my mind and told the doctor I wanted to be awake. So he said ok and doped me up real good and I was flying. Laughed during the entire procedure and he even gave me a spare camera thingie so I could watch him proceding up my colon. It was awesome.

I had polyps show up during the second procedure, that weren't cancerous. But I'm to have colonoscopies on a more regular basis.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I had a medical misadventure with IBD, ulcerative colitis to be exact.

One of the diagnositic procedures is a colonoscopy. the colonoscopy itself was no big deal, you're out like a like with the IV meds. The prep is less pleasant than many other things in life. You get some super gross liquid (either 1 gallon of GoLytley or 2 ounces of phospho soda) and you drink it. The you strap yourself to the toilet for a couple hours... jet propelled output! (sorry, gross but true). There is a pill version prep that is relatively new (not available when I had my test). You take 20 pills and quite a lot of water. I'd sure pick that over the other... if there was a choice.

As I have, indeed, conquered the UC by having my colon removed, I shall never have another colonoscopy.

Having sat in the office with many who had other issues, I'd say that if the doctor has ordered one, then it's necessary. It can find and detect problems LONG before they are cancerous, or prevent issues with diverticulitis. Both of these issues can, and often do, end with the same colon removal surgery that I had if you DO NOT have the test run.

Had I had the test done earlier, I might still have an intact digestive tract.

Please consider seriously getting it done. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
My family had no history of colon cancer until my Daddy died of it two years ago...after a very long and difficult four year battle. I can promise you a colonoscopy is a breeze compared to four years of chemo, multiple surgeries and living with a colostomy bag...not to mention the agony of a slow death.

Immediately after Daddy was diagnosed I went in for a colonoscopy and precancerous polyps were found. I was in my early 40s. I now have one done every three years. I do the pill route as I can't drink that nasty liquid and keep it down.

I highly recommend everyone get a colonoscopy at age 50, earlier if there is a history of colon cancer in the family. If your doctor has ordered one, go for it. I've never had any discomfort, etc. afterwards and have had three done in my lifetime so far...and still haven't reached age 50!

Daddy five months after he was diagnosed:

Daddy a year before he died:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've had it done before, and am due to have another one on Sept. 17th. My dear mother in law had no family history of colon cancer at all, but she was diagnosed with it. She ignored the symptoms, and refused any screenings exams (fear I think) so when they finally discovered her cancer, she only had months to live. I watched her suffer and die a horrid, painful death. They did surgery, what they could do, and gave her a colostomy, but a few short months later, she lay dying in agony (or totally drugged out of her head from pain meds.) No thanks. I'll take the colonoscopy any day to that.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
A lot better to have it and be sure than not and worry. Worst part is passing all that gas when you have been taught thats a NONO. But all you do is FOL and everyone will LOL, then you may leave. :eek: :eek: The nurses will probably tell you something you've never heard before( IT DON"T SMELL ) I was thinking YEA RIGHT! :p

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I had my first one last February. The prep was a PITA but the whole thing was interesting---I did without almost all meds because I wanted to see if I could drive myself home after one. It was painful, but it only last a half hour or so and you can take it. By not getting the pain meds, or a whole lot of them, you can see the whole thing on the TV screen just as the doctor sees it.

There's no really good reason to avoid getting it done. If a doctor said you need it, then go ahead and get it done. You would feel so STUPID if you died of colon cancer, after having passed on the test that would have found it early.

Ravenlost, your Dad was a good looking man. :) It sure does sober you to see the before and after pictures, though. I've got them of both of my parents, too. They both died of cancer, my dad from a brain tumor associated with Multiple Myeloma, and my mom from Ovarian cancer.

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Last year my Doc said I ought to have one, as part of my physical,
because I'd never had one, at 66.

The anticipation was a lot worse than the operation.
Yeah the Phoso-Soda, kept me a little busy, the night before.
DSW Sharon drove me over to the Hospital.
They prepped me. They had a big TV monitor screen in front of me,
as I lay on my side.
Nurse said, "You are going to sleep, now."
I slept through the rest of it.
When I woke up, the Doc said, "It was all okay. No problems.
I'll see you again in about 10 years."

DSW drove me Home. We stopped & had breakfast, on the way.
I was starved...........I think that was the worst part.
I Really Hate to Fast!
Good luck.
And, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I had my first colonoscopy this summer. Let me give you one word re the prep: EXPLOSION!!!!!!!! Make sure you are home and esconsed on your favorite potty BEFORE you drink the prep solution, because you won't have time to get there before the SHTF. Better yet, get a potty with a seat belt!

I don't remember being put under, just waking up to a cheery nurse asking if I was ready for my coke. It took me a while to realize she was offering me a drink.

·
Registered
509 Posts
moopups I got on here to late. I was going to give you the same story that I gave a friend of mine how they had to run this 3 inch diameter thing up you and then take pictures by hand putting one of them old fashion cameras up their to do the picture taking. We had him going for a while.
Yes I had one and it's not that bad of course my doctor knocked me out. Think he knew better than to try and do that with me awake.
You will be OK.
Hillbillybob

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Colonoscopies are a breeze- the quicker not so deep sigmoidoscopies or proctoscopes are the painful awful things (BTDT) since they put you out or into lala for colo. They are recommended to make sure even healthy folk are colon cancer free at about 50 years old, since so many get it without warning or family history, and 10 years before the age a close family member got colon cancer for those with family histories. ETA And they are the best screen for anyone with a symptom- obvious or hidden blood in your poop is one- suggestive of anything wrong with the colon. I had mine for my longstanding diarrhea to confirm I have UC.

Me I get one every year for my Ulcerative Colitis- like Sewsilly but still have my colon. So far a few noncancerous polyps (I think- always a bit groggy when they're telling me these things) and the worst part is the prep (but it isn't as bad as ulcerative colitis acting up so doesn't really trouble me at all).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.