College

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Dec 8, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I was wondering, do alot of you have a 2 or 4 year degree?

I am currently in Finland but have sometimes entertained the thoughts of going to college. I have been alittle disappointed because the main colleges back home in GA don't offer much online and all.

Hubby doesn't have a steady job so that makes it kind of harder too.

I went to DeVry and my high school math scores are WAY too low to be accepted online, not to mention I never took my SAT ( I think I took my ACT).

Hubby and I are just terrible at math from the getgo, he said he gave up on college looong ago. I still have hope though, maybe some day!

I'd love to hear any inspiring stories about how you were able to afford college or any stories at all :)

Thanks!

Kat

2. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

I've got three Bachelor degrees - Psychology, English Literature, and Liberal Arts.

They're all useless.

Basically, all prospective employers want to know is that you had the discipline to get a degree in the first place. Go for it if the opporunity arises, but don't worry too much about it. Some friends of mine who didn't go to college have better, higher-paying jobs than I do.

3. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Have a 4 yr college degree w/major in nursing. If I had NOT gotten the 4 yr degree I would have been stuck in hospital work or clinic work. (Did that for 5 years) But w/B.S. degree I made a career out of pharmaceutical sales & retired a tiny bit early w/pension & 401K.

Getting there was not easy, tho. DH at the time did not want me to go to school & made my life really miserable. Ended up going thru a difficult divorce in the middle of it all. Finished my last 2 years w/3 part-time jobs to support me & 3 kids. So I tell most everyone: "You CAN do it!".

Patty

4. Marine's Mom

Marine's Mom Guest

Have a bachelors degree in education.

5. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I have my associates and bachelors in Business Adminstration.

It show maturity to finish what you start, and that you can be taught, but basically that's it, but it is an expensive piece of paper that opens doors.

However, it opens doors to different on the job training "programs". You take a few basics learned in college and that leads to a job, during which you learn, which makes you more marketable skills that leads to another open door (job), etc, etc.

You do the same thing with any "job" - everything can lead to something else building off skills you pick up from other past jobs. The college degree just opens different doors usually.
    Some doors NEED a college degree before they can open by law ... doctor, lawyer, nurse, etc.
    Some doors will be very hard to see open without a degree, but it can be done, it's just a lot, lot, lot tougher and may take a lot more time to open.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My wife and Son both went to college.But neither of them are working in their field.

My wife is going to School now hoping to come up with a better Job.My Son is making a very good living knowing the right people.

big rockpile

7. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and MBA, and they've definitely helped me make a living. I've got a niece taking an on-line course from West Georgia College now, and I think Peremiter College offers a lot of "stuff" on-line. Are you Hope eligible? If so, the costs really come down for attending.

8. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

BS in industrial hygiene and environmental toxicology,
    MSPH in Environmental Health Science
    working on a PhD in Environmental Toxicology/Epidemiology

9. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an Associates In Applied Science in Administration of Justice, but am not using it.

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an Associates Degree. A person can save a lot of money by getting an Associates before going to a four year college. Community colleges are also interested in teaching and having students succeed- the teachers are teachers.

My sister began with a two year degree from a community college, then got her bachelor's from a four year college, then on to law school. Nobody really cares where you got your undergraduate degree(s) from, just the one you are using. I agree that it opens doors to have a college degree because employers put too much emphasis on them. If you want to go to college, but don't know what you want to do, take classes that you enjoy. For some people that would be literature, for others computer technology.

I don't understand your emphasis on math. Unless you are going into a field that requires it, you don't have to take any math classes. Older students are treated differenlty than eighteen year olds, and your high or low SAT or ACT scores are of little interest to most colleges.

11. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I took the general ed classes one or two classes at a time. Eventually, I went back to school full-time and I get my 2 year degree.

It took me 4 years to get through the 2 year nursing degree, but it is mine. I owned EVERY class that I finished, the credit for each class was MINE and it could not be lost!

What subject interests you?

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an Associate's Degree in Pre-Law, a Bachelor of Science in Art and am short 15 hours having Bachelor's in History and English. All total, I have 468 college credits. I am terrible at math too and barely squeaked through the required College Algebra. I took a lot of Science classes instead of math.

13. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

With the HOPE scholarship credit, you can deduct part of your tuition off your income taxes. If you are 30 or older, there are lots of scholarships for women, or funds. That helped me. Nobody cares if you don't do well on SAT math, if you are not entering a math-required field. Same with ACT, if you're not 16 anymore. (Part of my job used to be to get highscool kids into college). Also the advice to go to a community college first if nearby is solid. You get to try lots of things, have access to internships in different fields, sometimes for pay!, usually the people who teach at comm col's are more realistic and interested in their students too.

14. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I believe an education is VERY worthwhile. We don't always know where we are going to end up, do we? I have an BA in Anthropology and an MBA. I now work for a non-profit in a company I love. I use the MBA skills daily as I manage other people and the Anthropology degree comes in when you deal with many people from different walks of life. So yes...I guess I AM using it. :)

15. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

TRY UK's Open University

16. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have a four-year degree in English. In my opinion college was a big waste of time and (the government's) money. I suppose if you are going in to learn how to DO SOMETHING (such as being a nurse, a physical therapist, etc.) it would be ok, but getting a degree like English, History, etc., is complete garbage. I have never benefitted one penny from having a college degree versus not having one.

I went on my Veteran's benefits and paid some out of my pocket too.
    donsgal

17. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

I'm currently taking a 4 year bachelor degree in Animal Science, and got in to the university right from the get go (straight from high school: no college-in-between-stuff). First year was okay, but I felt a bit intimidated because I was in those big classes (about 400 students or so packed into one lecture theatre) where there were the nerds up at the front of the class, marks were graded on a bell-curve, and there was a lot of competition of who's gonna get the highest marks, so to speak. I'm soooo glad I'm in my second year with way more aggies in my classes and way less engineering or other faculties than last year.

I've been asked why I wasn't in the arts department because of my music skills and my artistic talents (as well as my photography skills), and I say because I love working with animals, and the outdoors. Photography you can be outdoors and be CLOSE to animals, but you're not actually working with them. I don't mind the sciency and mathy stuff of this degree, (I'm good at math, sorry), it's just the animally part of it.

18. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a bachelor degree in Psychology but quite frankly I find the knowledge from the School of Hard Knocks more useful!

19. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I am pursuing a 4 year degree in Construction Management, but it will probably take 10 years to complete as I am only taking around 6 hours a semester.
    Don't let math hold you back. I got out of high school without ever taking any kind of algebra or the ACT/SAT. I took a placement exam and was placed in remedial math. I took Math 055 (high school algebra), 100 (intermediate algebra), 109 (intermediate math), 116 (college algebra), 117 (trigonometry), 122 (calculus, single variable I), and I am taking the final in 132 (calculus, single variable II) next week. So it can be done. It was intimidating at first, but I learned that the classes are taught by teachers who aren't afraid to answer questions, even the stupid ones.

20. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Bachelor of Science in Math and a MBA. Both were essential to my career. I did well enough to retire at 54 and buy a large ranch and then travel extensively for ten years.