College/Homesteading ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Morria07, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Morria07

Morria07 Member

:Bawling: I am having to leave my homestead next year in the hands of the responsible family I am renting to.

Now my question, what is your advice for keeping a homesteading spirit alive for 4 years in a college girls dorm...in San Dimas CA? :shrug:

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

lol. Well I'd be in trouble if I was living in a girls dorm in CA.. or anywhere for that matter.. Would be fun but I don't think the wife would look kindly on it :rolleyes:

but on a more serious note.. you can always container garden, spend time in the park. campout on breaks, etc.. Oh yea and maybe find you a fella with the same goals. :)

What are you planning to study? (ag would be cool especially if its sustainable ag).

BTW I like you're tagline.. Goth homesteader is an interesting concept IMHO.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

See if there's a nearby community garden that you could participate in or, better yet, see if you can start one on campus! Hang out at the local farmer's market if there is one, hang out at the local Wild Oats Grocery Store and participate in the many fun classes, etc. that they offer.

4. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Cal Poly Pomona has a very big Ag department. There may be some extention classes you may be interested in. You may want to try and get some part time work at Monrovia Nursery. They are one of the largest plant and tree growers in the country.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Trust me, if you've got the heart of a farm girl, you'll always have the heart of a farm girl. It can wait. Just see that you don't fall for one of those city boys while you're out there! :)
    mary

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Since, according to your profile, you are a Capricorn. It shouldn't be too much of a problem since Capricorns tend to think that "their way is the only way" and also can move heaven and earth if they put their mind to it. Once a Capricorn has set their sights on a goal, there is nothing that can dissuade them from it.

I might be more prudent of your roommates to ask...."How can I maintain my "city -girl" mindset in the presence of a homestead loving Capricorn roommate?

Enjoy your college time, but never loose sight of what it truly important in life.

Donsgal

7. Morria07

Morria07 Member

I am going out there to study cross-culture and youth minsitry. LOL, yes I am a Christian goth. But thanks those are great ideas. ^_^ Keep them coming! I need to ask if there is a garden on campus!

8. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

My daughter kept in touch with 'nature' during her time in college, by running outdoors and by kayaking on the weekends. She was only about an hour from home. Her campus, while right in the middle of a city, had beautiful outdoor areas. She always had the allowable fish for a pet and a number of plants that would rotate home sometimes. She's now moved to an even larger city, to attend medical school this fall, and the adjustment to the city has been most difficult. Running has been hampered by pollution 'ratings' and it has taken a while to meet the local kayaking community. Things are getting better now that school is about to start!

Where there's a will, there's a way, and you always have the homestead waiting on your return.

dawn

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Try camping in the national forest, enjoy the 12 month growing season, and check out the local ecology. Did you know that California is DESIGNED to burn every few years? The old brush gets brittle and flamable, and the redwoods are not bothered much by fire once they are a few years old. In fact, there is one type of tree that can only sprout its seeds AFTER a fire!

Have you heard the saying never eat shellfish in a month with an R in it? This started in California. During hot weather, there is a poisenous algae that grows in the oceam, shellfish eat it, and this makes the shellfish inedible. Or, so I have heard! The little crabs by the rocks on the shore are, however, excellent.

The ecology is very different than most of the country.

10. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

San Dimas is right at the base of some pretty high mountains. It is less than 20 miles to the base of Mt. Baldy. Great views and good hiking. During Nov/Dec there is usually some really clear days when from up there you can see over Los Angeles to the Channel Islands.

I honestly don't miss much about Southern California except for the Channel Islands. They are truly special. Santa Cruz Island has some of the largest sea caves in the world. There are a couple of companies that do kayak trips out there. Island Packers will take you out there for the day or dump you off for camping. Let me know if you want more info.

11. Morria07

Morria07 Member

Thanks. I already asked some of the girls who go there. I am safe for clothing...There is a trift store 3 miles from the college and I will have my Singer (old electric that can also be used on the tredle!).

I knew it was near mountians...just not that near. My cousins own land in eastern OK and I love forests and trees. I learned to climb on shale hills...so that is a fun opprotunity. :baby04:

12. Morria07

Morria07 Member