Collecting Moonflower seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jack in VA, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Got lots of "pods". Should I wait for the plant to die back and dry up before I collect them?

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I wait until the pod itself dries up --- it will go from being a roundish, plump thing to a dried up measly thing. I try not to collect until right before the pod becomes a downright pitiful thing or, IOW, right before it's ready to let loose and drop off the vine.

If your weather's similar to ours, you should be starting to find a mess of pitiful looking dried up pods right about now.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"I wait until the pod itself dries up --- it will go from being a roundish, plump thing to a dried up measly thing. I try not to collect until right before the pod becomes a downright pitiful thing or, IOW, right before it's ready to let loose and drop off the vine"

That's what I do also.

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Well, I had my first freeze , and the plants look pitiful. Should I collect them now , or let them dry on the vine?

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Keep them on the vine. I'm facing similar problems --- we haven't yet had a freeze, but got very close one night and not all my pods have turned yet.

If they don't turn, PM me and I'll be glad to share some of mine. I have a fair amount already --- enough for me and for Christmas presents, and I should have enough left over if your seeds just don't make it.