Collecting a boar for A.I.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by RedHogs, Nov 2, 2006.

1. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

If thead is deleted by the moderator i will understand, but in general terms who has had success collecting and what is your best method????

2. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I worked in an AI department and can tell you how we did it. If you send me a PM I will try to help.

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we haven't tried yet, but...we are just going to put a tire in the ground for the boar to mount, catch some urine from a gilt/so in heat and pour on it. We talked to our friend and he trained a couple of boars that way. If you go to Mini Tube you can get all the stuff you need.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

RedHogs the Folks we got our Herfords from had gone to school for this at U of MO Columbia. One of the two Boars (WSBF 4 Super Charge 9-6) is allready trained for collection. The folks said they just set a small square Bale on edge in his pen, he mounts the bale, then you step in with a collection jar to receive the benediction.
    They brought us a whole box of supplies( jars, extenders, coolers, etc.) but I have yet to have a go at the procedure, LOL.

5. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

Now do you think there is validity in always collecting, i talked to a man who ruined a high dollar boar by allowing him to mount live cover one time, then he was hard to collect.