Coliform Mastitis & Bloody Urine HELP!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Homestead Mom, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Homestead Mom

Homestead Mom Member

Help!

My new dairy cow freshened Dec. 5. She and the calf were doing fine. A couple of days ago she started slowing down, and then was running a 105 degree fever. Had her former owner and the vet out. Treated her for milk fever and mastitis. My husband and I think she has coliform mastitis. She fits all the symptoms in my Merck manual, but I haven't seen anywhere that talks about bloody urine going along with coliform mastitis. She started the bloody urine last night. She is getting up and walking around some. She will drink but not eat. Does bloody urine go along with the coliform mastitits, or does she have something else? Any chance of recovery with the bad bloody urine and is there anything I can do to help? Thank you very much.
    By the way, the cow is 6 years old. We got her from a neighbor that retired from milking a couple of months ago.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Please ask you vet to check for Nutritional Redwater and Leptospirosis, both of which can cause death but are treatable if caught early enough.

One of the signs of Lepto in adult cattle can be a reduction in milk and it may be thick and pink looking so your mastitis may not be mastitis. Worth following up, I get very dodgy about red urine in cattle.

Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Milk everything you can out of her as often as possible. Gently massage the udder to get the blood circulating. Use hot compresses on it as well. If it is coliform she needs antibiotics- both the teat infusions and an injection.

Claire

4. largeanivet

largeanivet Member

Can you call me about the cow ?? I have a fue ideas that i think it may be if any of the teats are getting purple that a sure sign of coliform or Ecoli mastitis.
    As for the blood in the urine that could be a couple things the most pos being just that the is not clean yet. And you should check palpate the "UT" and also start her on IV antibiotics put 50cc of OXYTEC in 500cc of dextro 50% for 5 days or if you don't want to give a bottle.. give 20cc of NAXCEL for five days and watch that bag and the tit that is giveing the problem... Thanks Scott Scottmir381@aol.com .. Feel free to email. And if you want to call me ill give you a number so i can help you more.. Good luck