Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 19, 2007 at 09:35 PM CDT
Having a week off has been wonderful. We are able to recharge our batteries and Cole is doing so well, it is reminiscent of the days before diagnosis. Lots of running and playing and lots of arts and crafts. He has been eating every hour on the half hour to boot! In fact, his daily intake of cookie dough is hard to keep up with. Ironically, he has also been eating plenty of protein. We have been off the TPN nutrition and he is taking in full calories like a normal kid. Since he is not getting fluids through the night we have not had to get up every few hours to change diapers. That has resulted in a full night of sleep which hasn't happenend since November. We definitely needed a break.

Gran is in for the night and Cole has been talking up a storm. He is so excited to have a fresh face to show his territory. As soon as she got here, he took out all of his trains and told Gran all of their names. Gran also made Cole a Superman cape, and he has really been having fun with that. He will probably teach her how to make cookies tomorrow.

Our lab check today was pretty good. Cole's red cell count is still sky high. His ANC dipped to 600, so that is kind of strange but not unheard of. The big thing that we are watching is his platelet count. We can't go ahead with the next round of chemo until his platelets come up, and as much as we enjoy the break we need to have his body respond so we can move forward. I am sure that prayers for "what is best for Cole" will continue to be filled. It is never easy for control freaks to go on "God's time", but we are getting better at it.

When we find out more about our schedule we will fill everyone in.

Wendy and Nathan

Superman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Superman's Daddy wore the cape for a few minutes while waiting for Superman's Mommy to catch up to where we were.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Comments on the visit from me. :)

It was truly the best visit since this whole thing started back in November. Everybody was feeling great, eating, sleeping, and obviously less stressed.

The cape thing started when Nathan called me on Monday evening and asked if I remembered making him and his brother capes when they were about six years old. Of course, I did, and I expected him to want it mailed to them.

Oh, no! He wanted a new one, Cole sized. With the Superman logo on the back. For those of you who sew or quilt, you know appliqué isn't easy. You cut out all those little pieces of fabric, get them in exactly the right place, them sew them down. I said, "Sure, I can do that." :help:

I found the right color fabrics, and (thank goodness) tried a sample Superman logo on a scrap. It was *not* successful.

Plan B worked better, and you see the results above. I was so worried about length, placement of the logo, if Nathan would think it was good enough, etc etc etc... Thank goodness it was a success.

What was the *best* was Cole and Nathan's reactions! Cole immediately put it on and dashed back and forth calling out, "I'm Superman." With his definite Texas accent, it come out, "I'm Supermayun!"

He wore it everywhere. To the store, to the hospital, etc. The reactions were priceless, too. Everyone smiled and called him Superman. The St. Jude shuttle driver even stopped the van to talk to Superman. Smiles and happy faces everywhere.

Just call me Super-Gran!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Cole is beautiful, and so are you! I love the cape. He just looks so happy. I am glad to hear the update and even happier that he is doing well. He is in a lot of prayers, I know that.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Thanks for the update. I continue to pray for Cole, as the Spirit leads (which is often!)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Hug that little boy for me ! I cannot imagine all you have gone thru . I am praying for the treatments to end soon and a long happy healthy life to follow.

Patty

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Bless his little heart, he looks great!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Wonderful - bestest update :)

Cole does look like he's put back on a little weight since you last shared pictures -- the same killer smile :)

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
He is sure looking better, and such a cutie.

And your two supermen are special. Glady Grandma got the applique "just right".

Up up and away!

Angie

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Thanks for the update !!!
It is good to hear the gooood news !!!
Prayers are still going up for our family !!!
bopeep

1 - 20 of 23 Posts