Cole's Update - Dec 17 - 23

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Alice In TX/MO, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

God's Time.

by: Nathan Kaspar 17 December.

Prayers are answered in God's time. Sometimes, it seems like he is waiting forever, just to test our faith. Sometimes, he is on speed-dial. Last night, I hit 911 and the lord was right on time.

As you can guess, this is a very stressful time for us. We know that there are going to be good days and bad days, but last night Cole's weight loss and his refusal to eat was really worrying me. I got on my knees and prayed and cried for Jesus to come and restore Cole's desire for food. After about half an hour of prayer, I got in bed next to Cole and we went to sleep. Cole slept well, but an hour into my rest, I had to take a lecture. It felt like someone had stood over me and shoved me in the back with both hands. Then a voice, as clear as if he was standing at the foot of my be said, "Have you not read where I fed 5000 with only 5 loaves and 3 fish? Don't you think I know how to nourish a 2 year old boy?" I knew right away that the prayer would be answered, and I felt better and slept well the rest of the night.

Right at 7:30, Cole sits up and the first thing he says is "Eat". I fly out of bed, get dressed and we run downstairs for breakfast. Cole ate a whole bowl of fruit loops, and we came back to the room and got ready for Church. At Sunday school, he discovered a jug of animal crackers but there were only about 10 left, and some broken pieces. He ate all of the whole crackers, and that was it. Even though he wanted more, the jug was empty. That bummed me out, because any time he is eating, it's best to keep the momentum going until he is full. Then from nowhere, one of the Sunday school teachers shows up with a giant zip lock bag of animal crackers. The mutiplication of animal crackers made the dream from the night before complete.

Cole kept on eating. After church, one of the pastors took us out to eat, and Cole had a plate of noodles and french fries. We came home and he ate some more crackers, and we went outside to the playground and he was climbing and sliding and happy and excited. Cole had a bottle of bubbles, so he blew bubbles for about half an hour and we had a great time. We came back up, and Cole had a snack of cashews and finally took a nap. He woke up around 7:00, had his medacine, and then ate a bite of pizza and had some coke and a big drink of whole milk. He is going to sleep now.

James 1:3-4
    ”Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing”

I suffer with poor patience. This is a personality trait that has had helped me greatly over the years, but it can sometimes make me tough to deal with. I want things done right, and done right now. I love my son more than anything in the world and I want him healthy, and I want him healthy now. All of the things that caused me stress prior to health of my child coming into question don't come close to the dispair caused by this illness. Giving it over to God is the a comforting step, but it is not a magic step. I still am a man who wants his son healthy, and my patience wears on me. I know that god has his plan, and my son will recover. I just have to find my patience. Cole is in Jesus' hands.

Thank you all for the prayers, and keep them coming. God hears you, and they are being answered every day.

2. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

Very good news! Best wishes to all.

Paula

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad the little one got something in him... praying for his recovery...

4. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

5. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

What a wonderful thing. I know how you feel. We too had a son who at 4 months wasn't able to eat and breathe at the same time because of a birthmark below his vocal cords. Of course it took quite a while for the doctors to find out this problem. When they did find the problem and reduced the tumor with some steroids he started eating every hour round the clock. I really didn't mind the lose of sleep. He is now 27 and robust and a daddy to boot.

6. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Good news! :) I hope he continues to be on the mend and to eat alot! :) He's in our prayers and you and your family also.

Kat

7. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Nathan, I wish I were there to give you a hug...you need as many hugs as you can get :)

Thanks for sharing, and give Cole one of those hugs too. It's great to hear that he is having carefree moments of just being a little boy :)

Extra Hugs,
    marlene

8. Alice In TX/MO

Today, our friend Lonnie went into town (Alton, Missouri) to do some shopping. In one of the stores, a clerk asked conversationally if he was ready for Christmas. He said not really, due to his mom's recent fall and his friend's grandson being transferred to St. Jude's for treatment. The clerk said, "Is that Cole?" This is not a store he goes often, and the clerk isn't someone we had told previously. *Everybody* in Oregon County, Missouri, is praying!!

Also, Gramps called a business associate in Victoria, Texas, and the first thing out of the gentleman's mouth is, "How is Cole? He's on our prayer list at church."

Those angel wings are just everywhere.

9. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Rose, I mailed a box off to Cole today. Let me know when/if he gets it. I know the postal service is iffy this time of year. If he doesn't get it, I'll re-send after the holidays.
    Still praying for him & your family!

10. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Amen - Angel wings everywhere. Prayer makes all the difference and you would be surprised how many people in how many states are praying for Cole ! S.

11. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Your in our prayers, We sent a Christmas card to Cole this weekend.. and my DD painted a picture for Cole, hope he enjoys it :) :angel:

12. Alice In TX/MO

December 19, 2006 at 09:25 PM CST

WHAT MAKES US PARENTS?
    by Wendy, Cole's mom

Today was a good day (a much needed good day). Yesterday Cole felt bad all day and was sick the majority of the day and we had to start more medicine, which is never good when you are battling a two year old. Cole is still bright yellow and his eyes glow, but we have had him hooked up to IV fluids which seemed to help his energy level. He was able to eat again today and even gained some weight back.

Now that we have been here for awhile we are meeting more parents. As I mentioned, St. Jude’s is a prominent cancer research facility and all the families stay nearby. It is such a blessing to have access to the accommodations and hospitality but sometimes it is difficult to be around parents who are also struggling with cancer every day. Conversations with parents have led me to reassess our family. What once was a battle on the playground over whose kid was the strongest and biggest has now turned to which child is the sickest and whose has the worse story. Another family was petitioning to move to a bigger suite because they only had one TV in their room and were tired of watching cartoons all day. I guess those conversations and thoughts lead me to wonder what makes us parents.

Some parents give strength to their children both physically and emotionally. Some parents teach independence and pride. Some parents make time to spend with their children and realize that those sacrifices offer the greatest gift—a relationship. Where are those moments found? It is at the school plays, on the baseball field and at the dinner table. It is helping with homework, running to the playground, and consistently disciplining. I have thought that I made sacrifices to uphold my role as a mother, but I am finding that those sacrifices are nothing in comparison to what we are going through now.

Looking around the hospital, you see the kids that feel bad, and then you see the kids who are happy despite feeling bad. You can tell instantly which children have the joy deep in their hearts. THAT is what we give as parents. It is not the newest video game for them to play alone but rather the glove to match the baseball. And through the kids here, I am learning that the emotional leads to the physical, so maybe we as parents should start there first. Maybe we should judge our kids not by weight but by the size of their smiles or strength of their laughs. The parents here who are most depressed and unhappy are also those who dwell on the fact that their children are sick, and so their children seem even more sick. The problems are not going to be wished away, and complaining about them only clouds the air with negativity. That negativity becomes just another problem to deal with.

Although I know every scene in “Cars” and the daily schedule on the Noggin channel, I still devote myself to sit on the bed with Cole and sing the familiar songs whenever he chooses. It is that emotional bond that we are trying to maintain as a family—it is that bond that makes us a family. I am finding that despite all the blessings we are given, too many people miss the silver lining because they are expecting the gold.

Just a thought. Wendy

13. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

I am following Coles thread with great interest. In the last ten days, the grand-daughter of our secretary at work has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It has metastized into her bones. This little girl is 5 years old. Her name is Abbie.

It is wonderful to watch a community come together to help one of it's members. The Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto is about an 8 hour drive from here. Everyone is fundraising like mad to help All the family get down there to support Abbie and her parents. It's a big deal in a small town. My best wishes to Cole and his family.

14. Alice In TX/MO

Rileyjo,
    Blessings, thoughts, and prayers go out to your secretary's grand daughter and family.

I find that words are not adquate to express my bewilderment at the situations we face with these sick children. All we can do is love and support the family.

Rose

15. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Wendy, I'm sooooo happy and thankful that Cole has you for a Mommy :)

I was wondering what it was like being at St. Jude's, I hope your down times are few and far between, and your up times are many.

Hugs
    marlene

16. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

A little update,

We were updated today about our little Abbies condition. She does have Neuroblastoma and the mass is located behind her pancreas. It has spread to her bones and she has not eaten for 6 days now.

The generosity of people is overwhelming. In the last 10 days, $4,200 has been raised to help cover the costs of family taking time off to care for Abbie, her parents and her 14 month old brother. I see the same kind of generosity on here, it is very heartwarming.

17. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

so sorry to hear of her sickness!! sending prayers your way.. how wonderful so much money was raised.. I have a 5 yr old so that touches home.

18. Deenie

Deenie Active Member

There are many arms around cole and now Abbie.

Mine are around them as well..

continued thoughts and prayers..

19. Alice In TX/MO

Oh, my gosh! Another case of the same cancer? This is awful. :Bawling:

Prayers and much much sympathy.

They need to make SURE they are happy with the care there!!!!!!!

20. Alice In TX/MO

December 20, 2006 at 07:06 PM CST
    GETTING SETTLED…KINDA

We got moved into Target House II today. It is so incredible that I am almost in tears. They have provided us a two bedroom house fully furnished as well as a grand patio with grills to boot. There is an outdoor playground that makes Cole’s eyes sparkle every time we look out the window and there is an indoor playroom complete with a Thomas the Train set. Target spent over $30 million to provide long term housing for St. Jude’s patients. I will definitely be doing more shopping there. In fact, we also get food cards each week to help defray the costs of groceries and toiletries. I could not have anticipated this much hospitality. Ironically, the walls are adorned with elephants everywhere because elephants have such long lives. Elephants are Cole’s favorite animal at the zoo (as well as mine and Grandma CharChar).

I also want to reiterate how greatly appreciative we are of all the support. It is difficult being so far away but the constant prayers and thoughts are well received. We are nothing without you all. You can continue to send mail to the hospital but we also have our own address now which I will post on the contact info as well.

Cole Kaspar #25121
    c/o Target House II
    1811 Poplar Avenue
    Memphis, TN 38104

Again, thank you for everything and please keep in contact since we have a long road ahead of us.