Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why can't they get a cure for the common cold?!!! Yes I know why but.... they suck. I'd rather have the flu at lease it is not caught several times a year. I jinxed myself by saying I never had a cold last year... and I went to walmart. what was I thinking????

they last way longer than just a couple of days. I stayed home when I was the most contagious but I sound like I'm dying now that it is "over" with the cough that lasts for weeks. I don't have weeks to stay home 4 days was long enough.

·
Registered
999 Posts
:( Stinks doesn't it? What about shortening the cold?

We are pretty healthy people, we haven't been to the doctor for being sick in years, but we obviously still get colds.
I have found that the zinc based cold shorteners- Zicam or Cold Eeze- seem to truly work. They taste horrid, but a few of those a day for the first day or 2 and I am usually done and never get past the itchy, sniffly feeling start of a cold. (don't use the intranasal Zicam, it messes up your sense of taste massively. I think to the point that they are being sued for that form having permanent side effects.)
Be sure to not combine it with too much vitamin C, as that counteracts the zinc.
I should add- DH swears by vitamin C instead.... but his colds languish on when he takes that, but goes away on the colds where he gives in and uses zinc.
Zinc is also FDA test proven, as opposed to vitamin C which is not.
And I always tell myself I am not sick... I swear that method works wonders. :)
Anyhoo... just thought that might help! :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ditto on the zinc lozenges.

Plus, ALWAYS sanitize your hands when you return to your car from shopping.
So true on the sanitizing!! We keep alcohol based hand sanitizer in all cars, and use it most of the time when we get back in the car. I am much more diligent if DH is there to tell me, or if I hear someone hacking in the store lol.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I've noticed that the colder and drier the climate, the more prevalent the colds.

Also... AFAIK, municipal water supplies generally have steps in place to kill bacteria and giardia and such, but virus can be more resistant to those steps. IF the water supply comes from an open reservoir with waterfowl AND insufficient chlorine is used, there is a potential that your morning shower could be giving you a cold.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried zinc a few times and didn't notice much. will need to try again. the cold part itself is not the problem it is the sinus junk and cough that will last for weeks after the cold that gives me fits. neti pot helps the most with that.

our water treatment still uses chlorine so It is unlikely with the chlorine residual that is how I get mine. I am sure it is more due to direct contact with people sneezing or coughing and not covering their mouths. That is how I got most of my kids stuff. "mommy, I love you" hugs kisses, hack hack right into my face. luckily they are older now.:D

·
Registered
999 Posts
okiemom....

Odd on the Zinc. Do you make sure to consume at least 4 of them a day for several days, with minimal vitamin c interference?
And I wonder if the few times you tried it, did you possibly stave off a possibly much worse cold, therefore not knowing it did help?

Or I wonder of maybe you don't get enough dietary zinc to begin with, so then the cold therapy stuff doesn't go as far?
I decided to do some googling with this post...
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=115
Not sure how accurate it all is, but interesting, nonetheless. :)
I like to think out loud and help solve problems, can you tell?! :)

We hardly get 'real' colds, and I just assumed it was due to the zinc, since the times my husband does get a gnarly cold, he chose not to use the zinc. I can't think of the last time I got such a bad cold that I felt like that.

Do you also make sure to drink tons and tons of water/liquid to help remove the snot?
Plain water, tea, chicken broth even? My daughter will complain that she can't get rid of the congestion, but then when she finally listens and drinks more it helps a lot.

My sister used neti pots for a while, and I thought she stopped because she noticed they seemed to make her worse.

Anyhoo.... Hopefully you find something that helps!

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
There is a cure or more properly a preventative when taken when you feel a scratchy throat. Not all zinc formulations work. I've used a specific brand of zinc gluconate for almost twenty years to stop colds. A recent article explained why some zinc works while most do not. It is dependent on the amount of ionic zinc that is released. That is what prevents the cold virus from attaching to the cells. The article went into more detail than that including why some people never or rarely get colds. It has to do with an electrical current that connects the mouth and nose.

The article mentioned some forms of zinc acetate work best. Zinc is not normally something to take as a supplement. It's to be taken at the first sign of a cold.

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Darren, will you share the brand name of the zinc gluconate you use?

I've not had a cold for so many years I cannot even remember...though I use to get them frequently.

What I have done for years now is, at first sign of a possible cold, I start taking 3 tabs of echinacea "root" and 3 tabs of 1000mg Vit C two times a day. The echinacea root helps strengthen immune system and the Vit C wards off the cold. So far; so good!!

As I'm up in years, I've also started wearing something on my head more often when I go outside during those flu/cold months; and I make sure my chest stays warm...as well as my hands and feet. These precautions seem to ward off sinus problems. :)

I also keep Alkaselzer Plus around the house just in case I need it. Should I get a runny nose and/or slight cough, I take a couple of this plus spray my throat with "regular" Listerine (mouth wash); and all simptoms disappear within 24 hrs.

·
Premium Member
25,151 Posts
Got mine from a co-worker, well over a month ago. I still have coughing spells and get short of breath easier than usual. Believe me, I understand the "no work, no pay deal". I lost out on 4 days pay myself. But if you absolutely must come to work sick, please; bring tissues, bring hand sanitizer, cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, wash and sanitize your hands frequently, and clean up after yourself.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Zinc Acetate from Life Extension may work as well or better. Everyone I know whose colds start with a scratchy throat have been believers in the Country Life zinc lozenges after they tried them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts