Colds & Wormers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hoovershounds, Jan 3, 2007.

1. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

Bisera, the pygmy that I got about a month ago, is having a nassel discharge just about every other day. She had pinkeye when I first got her and the vet gave her some milky looking stuff by mouth & eye drops. I had assumed the milky stuff was some kind of wormer. The nassel discharge has been going on about a week with just a little white discharge from one nostril every other day, then yesterday a little green discharge from one nostril and then today nothing. I dedcided I should call a few vets to see what they say and was told the follwing.
    Vet A-worm with ivemec (1cc per 100lbs) and start on penicillian for two weeks
    Vet B treated her for pink eye-worm with ivemec (1/2cc for 60 pygmy)
    Vet C-add some kinda stuff (sulfur maybe) to water
    This is also the same goat that hacks up hay (cud) when she is eating her grain. I dont think that she needs penicillian yet but I also did not know that worms would cause a runny nose. Just needing more advice from people that actually see goats on a daily basis.
    Amy

2. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

If you don't know the goats history, I would definetly do a complete set of innoculations.
    CD&T-2cc annually once they are a year
    Worming-regularly

And with the infection, pen-c is a must have. I keep it on hand all the time.If your little one is showing signs of green snot, thats an infection. It will also help with the pink eye. Use for at least 3-5 days.

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Pen G should be given 5 days minimum.

Is it possible she just sneezed up some cud and that caused the green snot?

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Pennicillin is not the drug of choice for much of anything anymore, wound infection, staving off a uterine infection when you have to pull kids, or kids are born dead, and mixed with other drugs for mastitis, but certainly not upper repsiratory. And you don't move to antibiotics unless you have a fever.

The white liquid could have been a wormer but also could have been a sulfa (not sulfur). Sulfas treat bacterial pnemonia but also cocci.

I would also start over with this kid, worm, vaccinate, cocci prevention, take her temp. For runny nose in a child would you put them on antibiotics with no other symptoms, no so do what you would do for them...boost their immune system with vitamin C, perhaps bo-se since it helps the immune system, and benedryl (antihistimine). It takes some does a very long time to assimlate into the new herd. In the mean time she needs extra care, and make sure she is getting to eat and not getting picked on. Vicki

5. hoovershounds

Thanks everyone. It sounds like vicki really has it going on with this goat business. I thought I was (even got me a few books) untill I got on this board. :shrug: I wormed her with 1cc of Ivemec (vet reccomended) but have since found out that it dosen't always work with goats so this weekend I will take some poo into the vet & have a fecal done. Is the CD&T the only vaccination that she needs. I will get some vita c tablets (i can use people stuff right) and order some of th probios from jeffers. Do I get the bo-se from their to? It is just her & the one other goat & from what I can tell the other goat is not picking on her. Thanks again
    Amy

6. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

CD&T and worming is all the pygmies require. Although some give regular bo-se shots. Most areas are selenium deficient. You can pick up the bo-se from your vet. Just remember that too much selenium is just as dangerous as too little. I know peeps that use it and some that don't. Never seen any difference.

7. hoovershounds

I ended up getting the probios from the feed store. How much & how often do I give it to her?

8. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

The probios you can give as often as you like. It keeps the rumen movin good and the enzymes can break down the right bacteria in there. I give to my little ones whenever they are stressed or arn't eating well. Once, up to as many as needed. I had a baby with cocci and gave it to him every couple hours. He was extremely sick for about 3 weeks and I thought death for sure. I had five remedies lined up for him every 4 hours, poor kid. Long long long story, but he is very healthy and happy today. I beleive the probios helped him so much. His little body was shutting down for sure. Love helps too.