Cold

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cedargrove, Dec 6, 2005.

1. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

To COLD to fast, -9 wind chill here in North East Kansas. I've got some cold little bunnys.

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Wind chill shouldn't be a factor unless they are exposed to the wind - they shouldn't be exposed to the wind. My angoras handle air temps down into the teens and single digits, but I wouldn't want to think about them being exposed to wind or even drafts at those temps.

3. cedargrove

I guess I was thinking more of ME going out and feeding them HA HA they are in the Rabbitry out of the wind.

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Ya, I can certainly relate to that - every time I go out to the barn to feed the other livestock, I have to walk past those rabbits with their nice, thick, long, warm, comfy fiber coats and I think - "If I just had about a hundred more - I could have one of those nice, thick, long, warm comfy fiber COVERALLS!!! LOL

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Cold here, too, but not as cold as YOU, Cedargrove! You sound Brrrrr-rrrrrr!

Nighttimes here in the teens (SC Missouri). Yesterday afternoon, I went to the rabbitry (old barn on the hill) with a bunch of hay. Luckily there are only four cages to take care of, so I splurged, and put a whole flake of hay into each cage. There were some busy bunnies, burrowing around in the hay and getting comfortable. When I checked this morning, everyone looked contented and cozy. :)

NeHi Mama

6. cedargrove

nehimama: -5 here this morning with 6inchs snow WOW this is way to soon for this weather, busy with Bunnies, Ducks, Chickens, (the Rooster froze in his sleep and fell right off his purch, found him feet up on the floor, while one hen is broody and hatched one yesterday) and cutting firewood and trying to teach a class to cold students also.

7. nehimama

Ooh, you have it bad over there, Cedar! "Only" in the 20s here this AM. And "only" a couple inches of snow, and more gently coming down. Going down to 8 or 9 tonight, though.

You're right. It IS too early in the season for this kind of cold & snow. In these parts, we don't normally get hammered with this 'til Jan - Feb.

NeHi Mama

8. nehimama

Oh, I forgot to tell you I'm sorry about your rooster, Cedar. Poor fellah.

NeHi Mama

9. bojay

bojay Active Member

It's been below zero every night here for a week. It just warmed up today to 15 degrees.

I think the rabbits prefer this weather over the heat in the summer.

10. cedargrove

That is reay cold. HEY have you ever had a Rabbit stick it's toung on a metal water'r in this kind of cold weather? The way it's going for me this fall I'm just waiting for that to happen. I've already taken out three Raccoon and 5 Opossem.