Cold!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by painterswife, Nov 15, 2005.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Zero out there this morning. Good thing I plugged in the heater on the horse trough yesterday.

Four inches of snow on the ground.

Winter has arrived in Wyoming.

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

We have rain this morning in upstate NY. I would rather have the snow. It is cold, but not cold enough to snow right now. I expect it will come soon enough though.

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Still relatively warm here in north central Alabama....too warm for this time of year so they're predicting bad thunderstorms for this afternoon as the cold front moves in...

By tomorrow night supposed to be in the 20's here and highs in the 50's and maybe low 60's...

I am ready for some colder weather....no snakes when it's cold! yea! :D

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i invested heavy in natural gas. come on guys go turn on your heaters! :D

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    60 at night, 75-80 daytimes; windows open, fan on, short sleeve shirts, here in zone 10. But never fear I will miss out on my share of cold weather, we are moving to zone 9 soon!

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Oh, Mitch, the horror, how will you handle it being 10 degrees cooler???

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

We are at 20 degrees with wind gusts to over 50 mph. We were supposed to get a lot of snow but only got a few flakes. Dh is helping sort calves this morning. He left looking like a snowman he has so many layers on. Just finished putting the plastic on the leaky windows yesterday and I put he emergency kit in the car this morning. Yup, winter is here.

8. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Heavy wet snow. 45 mph winds. SE Nebraska

We've been so lucky this fall - recordbreaking temps again this past weekend, now back to reality - good while it lasted.

9. Got up at 72 this morning. The local news said put on your coat cause the temps will be dropping in a couple of hours. It has cooled off quit considerably now. Suppose go all the way down to 40 by the end of the day and drop in the upper 20's by morning. How's that for Oklahoma weather?

They have always said here "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few moments and it will change".

10. glwalker

glwalker Well-Known Member

When it's this cold, I like to go to bed with a cup of tea, a hot water bottle, and spend the evening reading.

11. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Goodness GL, what a sensible thing to do.

Back to Mich.....I recorded a wind gust of 54 mph sunday. Heavy winds again tonight/tommorrow.
    No snow...............yet.

12. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

yall have turned on your heaters already? Been down to 40 in the house a few times but I'm resisting. Just put on more clothes.

13. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups- Grandfatherbear and I went to college in Volusia County, and he lived in a houseboat on the St Johns River one winter. He said he was far colder in that part of Florida than he was touring Russia in winter of 71 when the temp hit 40 below...
    I had pneumonia every winter I lived there, but we never had heat in the house and exhusband refused to let me buy a spaceheater...

14. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

We are having slushy snow right now. The wind finally went down towards morning so it didn't feel too bad outside for awhile, but now it's cranking back up. Supposed to reach 60 mph or more before this is done. I had to e-mail a friend in the nearest town for a weather report because my DISH TV was down for 3 hours, but finally came back on. Deb

15. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Upper 60's here and sunny. I am wearing short sleeves but a cold front with severe thunderstorms is predicted for Wednesday afternoon. Maybe by Thursday we will need to use some heat. :D

16. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Predicting up to 6inches of snow here tonite. We have to MOVE tomorrow! ouch. Single digits tomorrow nite. Really isn't out of the ordinary. I think we've been pretty lucky so far. Trend looks transient with milder air moving back in after this blows through. Snow should be gone quick!

17. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

It always takes me a couple of months to get into "winter" mode. We have 8 inches standing snow on the ground with 6 degrees F and very windy this morning. I did not even let the hens out till 11:00 am (they were planning a mutiny!)

18. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yes, Jim, I live in Michigan too. and we are getting rain right now, and it is going to get down right nasty, here in a little bit. thunderstorms, and heavy rain. what a mess.
    I think it is going to get real nasty, if it comes like weather .com says it will.

19. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

:p Send the cold this way!! :p My body's in the tropics but my heart is in the taiga...

20. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I sure would , if I could, you could have all of it.