Cold weather watering solutions advice and ideas?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bojay, Nov 18, 2005.

1. bojay

bojay Active Member

This is the first year my rabbits will be outdoors and already their water is frozen. I cannot afford a heated self watering system (yet) and will have to come up with other solutions for this year at least.

Description of my rabbitry: 6ftX12feet chain link dog kennel with black roof and solid door. Heavy oilcloth tarps (20oz) on three sides, one 12ft side backs up to garage. 10hole/2 level.

I currently have 8 rabbits that use 32oz water bottles. I was thinking about rotating bottles once or twice a day. Yesterday the water froze in about 3 hours (not completely, but enough so that the spout didn't work anymore).

I was also thinking about getting some heavy clear plastic to line the rabbitry on the inside, and bring in a heater or some sort. Maybe heat lamps?

Worst case, I can hang the hutches in the garage like last winter, but I'd rather not.

What are your solutions? Thank you, I appreciate any ideas or advice.

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Warm water, bring the bottles in on really cold nights. I personally like the rotation system but with 14 rabbits and only 20 bottles there just aren't enough to go around. We do the carry, thaw, and replace shuffle a few times a day. My shed has skylights so if the sun is shining it usually stays warm enough during the day to keep the nozzles from freezing.

I should have brought in the bottles last night, it got down to 21*F this morning.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm betting I'm further south than you are, but I do the bottle rotation. I have two bottles for every cage, and swap them out. If I lived in colder country, I'd probably switch to crocks, as they won't freeze as quickly as the tubes on the bottles. Then I'd switch back to bottles for th ewarmer months.

Meg

4. bojay

bojay Active Member

Thanks everyone. I raise lops and worried about their ears getting wet and freezing if I used crocks. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I live in Wisconsin. Yesterday our highs were in the teens.

5. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I also have lops, every year (the last 6) i've used dog dishes...and havnt had a problem with ears getting wet...i use hot water...it takeslover to freeze, but i only fill the dish half full, that way the next time i water (the next night mon-fri) the next morn sat-sun, and its melts the ice and then they drink...It takes abuout and hr to do chores, and i've dumped them out as well....
    Best of luck!!
    AJ