cold weather starting diesel engines,

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by farminghandyman, Sep 21, 2006.

1. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

one of the biggest problems with diesel motors is cold weather starting,
    It is great if you have the engine heater, and electricity, and the tractor right next to an outlet,

but may times the tractor is not next to an outlet, and may be many miles away from the place,

so I tryed a propane heater on one of the tractors, works well if the wind is not blowing, and now tell me when the wind doesn't blow on the plains of colorado, so it is an iffy heater, unless I build protection around the tractor,

my son was talking to an oil field guy, and said they just put quick connectors on the heater hose (possibly tee-ed in) and then a matching set on the tractor or engine they wanted to start, and with the truck engine hot and running they said in 3 to 5 Min's the diesel was ready to start,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    QUestion

has any one ever heard of this before or seen it done, any reasons why or why not to,

sounds like a workable system

I could see possibly needed to valve the quick connectors depending on type used,
    and not sure the type of quick connectors would work best yes I would think you would lose some anti freeze in time,
    would regular hydraulic connectors handle the antifreeze,

sounds like a good idea to me,
    but would be nice to hear from some one with experience with a similar system,

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have seen it used here before a long time ago. it worked well.

3. mink

mink Well-Known Member

the wood choppers up here in northern ny use the same setup you refer to they plug their hot engine into the cold skidders for 10 minutes or 15 depending on how much below 0 it is . the hot antifreeze flows threw the cold engine and back to the running one til their both up to temperature . sure saves the batteries. quick connectors just loose a tiny bit with each hookup and disconnect but no more fooling half a day to get started up.....mink

4. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I was about to reply about skidda guys hooking up to their trucks radiators for fast startup :) .I had a POS hardy gen with no glow plug and at any temp under 40degrees it would'nt start without heat,so I just took off air cleaner and stuck propane torch down intake-lotta fun at -30 to -40 for 5 mins...

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You'd want to be sure your coolent was compatable. It would be interesting to read of experiences!

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

We had this type of setup to start a D-8 Cat when I was growing up. Would only take 15 minutes to to warm up the cat enough to start on the coldest days. I believe we used regular hydrolic couplers. Had the setup so the loose ends would plug together to keep them clean when not hooked up. Only had 1 valve on the pickup to stop the water flow when not in use or else the heater in the pickup didn't work. I even remember a few days we had to use the setup to start the pickup to go home after a long cold day of working.

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I knew a few folks about 30 years ago in the woods that had that type of setup for their crawlers and skidders and line machines and they never seemed to have a problem, the coolant in all machines was the same type and the level for cold was appropriate, we never got to awful cold anyway, not more than 15-25 below 0 F..... i always wondered what kept the cold from ruining the hot engine, but then again i never claimed to be the most edge-u-ma-cated fool in the woods, but we never did that to our machines.

we had ablockheaters that if plugged in fer 20 minutes would let our rigs heat up enough to start right away, a little buzz box invertor under the hood of the pickup was enough to let it work for us... whcih was before we had a genset to did the job for us.

William

8. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for your information,

9. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

I have cranked diesels on some very cold mornings/days by using Ether/starting fluid. To save the battery I open the intake pipes next to the engine just enough to spray a small(careful)amount. About one or two revolutions and it will start. Another trick I have found that helps is to position the motor so that it gets the sun when it first comes up. If no rain is forcasted I prop the hood so the sun gets in early. Have cranked them in 5-10 degree weather by being patient just a bit and with a small shot of "fluid". A note of caution-starting fluid has NO lubrication so I give it a shot of WD-40 along with the fluid. Lots of fluid will wash your cylinder walls and cause premature wear. Too much will lock your engine down or cause it to run wild-use a small amount!!!

10. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

We used to use Charcoal It heats the Oil in the pan and that all it would take on them days of near zero weather up north..

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Just thought of this we installed a lower rpm higher torque starter on our 6710 (see avatar) and it will get things rolling faster in cold weather. Expensive enough though. Heck all starters are expensive.

12. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

James, have done that charcoal thingy also with a bucket and windshield to funnel the heat directly under the motor. Does not take long to start her sweating. wc