.....Cold Weather...and..."Rack Time"??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Dec 14, 2004.

How does cold temps affect your sleeping habit(s)

1. I'm rich and my castle stays at 78 f all year round!

2. I'm rich , and I make Love all night so Who needs heat!

3. I'm married to a fatman and he keeps me warm even when it gets very cold!

4. I'm poor , can't afford gas or electric so I freeze my Tush Off.

5. I'm gay , live in Florida and it NEVER gets cold Here!

6. I'm average , have propane , and stay warm most of the time while in Bed .

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

:eek: Well , folks it's really getting cold here in North Central Texas and so I thought I take a poll on how long Folks stay in bed as the Temp's drop below 30 deg's F ...Personally the colder it gets the longer I can "Hibernate" in the Rack . Respond and I'll try to provide a range of choices.....fordy :)

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

LOL... I can't even stay in bed at -20... but I'll admit that that first leap out from under the covers is a doozy!

I tend to stay in bed longer during warmer weather, when my husband can bring coffee up the stairs without it freezing solid on the way... ;-)

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

This morning was the coldest so far for December this year in our neck of the woods in N.W. Ontario was -22C or about -4F. Pretty cold, and the power was out for a while last night. Good thing it wasn't all night....windy, too.
    Cleared up nicely this afternoon and warmed up to -7C. Hovering about 20F is not bad for this time of year. :rolleyes:

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, you forgot one category............ A lot of us stay warm 'cause of the dogs in our beds! I've stayed toasty many 'a night this way.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

When we lived in the Interior of Alaska, with winter temps down to minus fifty or colder, we had to get up early to get the stove going and warm the cabin up. I stay in bed a little later in winter now than I really need to, not because the house is cold (we turn the heat down to about 55 at night, but I always wake up hot), but just because it's dark out and I don't HAVE to get up! :)

Kathleen

6. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

i'm a mix ... poor/but i do use gas... its a constant 55F in this love shack... if i'm feeling spendy, 57F - 60F is possible...its even colder in the bedrooms... its strange that the same clothes I wear inside, I wear outside too... (jackets/hat/long undies)...

7. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

we ran out of propane last night iam so cold
    Allthough we live in florida it did get cold like 25 were i am at
    so cold

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Company picking up the bills AHHHHH! 18 right now in SW Nichigan.

mikell

9. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

Aw man I thought you meant having vehicles on a lift rack.........................
    I keep my propane heated workshop at 50 deg....................does that count????.......................................

10. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

Where's the "I'm not rich but heat with wood and the living room is 92 degrees" catagory? The entire cabin is usually 78!

It was 8 degrees when I got up this morning.

Stacy in NY

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well it warmed up considerably here overnight, a balmy -2c, or 30F. Now its too hot in the house, open the windows, instant air cond.

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd have to repeat what KincoraFarm said.....92 in the leaving room and 78 in the rest of the house

I LOVE MY WOODSTOVE!!!!!

It was only 68 at 5am this morning (the fire went out) and a balmy 7 outside!

The schoolbus took a long time to warm up...the seats were like iceblocks but the kids were quiet for a change :haha:

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

14. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I keep it right about 72 during the day, living room is great, kitchen is cold and drafty and even at 72 the sink pipes will freeze when it hits the tens outside.... At night I set it back to about 65, mostly because the upstairs stays too warm. We are burning free wood right now in the outdoor furnace, so I only have to pay for the pumps to circulate :D Last year we near froze using the fireplace insert and a kero heater when it got really bad. Daytime high was about 50 and night, 40's :waa: We hung out by the fireplace alot!

Forgot to add that last year I got up early, just to get the fire going, and coffee never tastes as good as when your cold.

Carla

15. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We might be in the "woodstove' catagory by Monday...it hasn't reached 40 all week and hubby said he thinks its time to hook it up. He and ds3 stay warm yr round, the house can be 65 and they are shirtless, complaining of being hot. Here I am dressed in layers...so last night dh finally ya know this room is cold.....I think he has antifreeze in his veins. Ds strips his clothes in his sleep like some people sleepwalk, LOL. When the babies were new I'd put them on his chest to put them to sleep, he's like an electric blanket.

16. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

22 outside this morning, but the woodstove was still warm and the living room a pleasant 68. However, my grits nearly froze to the toilet seat. The only part of this little house that does not seem to get the warm air is the bathroom. Thinking of putting in a small electric heater there. Started a fire before I left, so the wife and kids should be waking up to 75-80 degree house.

17. danemom

danemom Active Member

I got caught off guard last night... I worked 3pm to 2 am and froze my tail off outside. i came home thinking I would walk into warmth. I came inside and the thermostat said 50 :confused: I guess my heater is on the blink. As soon as DH left for work, I called in the the reinforcements, my Great Dane and my Coonhound to keep my feet warm. I loaned my portable heater to my mother in law so while she is nice and toasty,I have everypair of sweatpants I own on and sweatshirts. I am still cold! It's not supposed to be cold in Florida!!!!!!!!

Susie

18. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

How bout the catagory of Tightwad husband that is so tight when he walks he squeaks on keeping the house cold.
    I would like it at 73-74* He tries to keep it at 70 and it freezes me out Grrrrr. I dress in a long flannel nightgown and thick socks at night and a blanket over me. He is fine to be dressed in a thick sweatsuit with socks.I would like to be comfortable and be relaxed in my own home
    I don't think you should have to 'bundle" up in your own house just to keep warm. Then I detest getting into a cold bed so I have an electric blanket and he gripes about it sucking the electricity....good grief :rolleyes: I have it on a low setting.
    From what I've always heard warming blankets are only pennies a day to operate.

Then this morning he got mad because I fell asleep on the couch with the table-lamp on. Gets mad because when I get out of the shower because I turn a small space heater on in the bathroom until I warm up.

Yep... :mad: can you tell I'm *ticked* at him? Maybe I should put coal in his stocking?

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It got into the 30s here last night. I found the girls had combined blankets and shared a bed....normally there would be way too much sibling angst for that to happen. The geese and the rooster moved off the lawn to the porch. The space heater in the bathroom was very popular this morning!

20. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Large propane heaters. Just paid 185.00 for 100 gallons of propane. :( I jump out of bed in the morning light the heaters and jump right back into bed until it warms up some. It doesn't take long as my house is small and well insulated. However, if it gets much colder than 20's don't know what I will do as I do not keep the heaters on at night.
    Chilly in East Texas, Rosemary