Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it's 5 degrees Fahrenheit outside what do you do with your lgd? I can't bring her inside because there are wolves and cougars but I don't want her to freeze. She is Akbash mastiff cross and has shorter coat than Akbash but longer than a mastiff and I don't want her to get cold. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Is there any shelter for the dog?
Mine has the barn she can go into.

But if you don't have a barn, you can make a hut from pallets and a tarp. Fill with straw, then show the dog how to go in. Some won't go in on their own and need to be shown or fed in the hut for a few days.

T

·
0 Posts
Adding straw would give her some insulation on the side walls. A heated dog pad would help.

·
Premium Member
10,408 Posts
If that pallet dog house faces away from cold winds and does not permit "drafts" thru it, then fill it full of "straw" so your dog can create its own "den" if it wants.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
The problem I have had with my lgd is that mine always wants to be able to see and hear what's going on so he won't sleep in any sort of house. He will consent to go into the lean-to on the side of the garage if it get's really cold, like below zero, or windy but otherwise he stays out where he can see things. Usually that's out in the middle of the highest point of the driveway. Since he's getting up in age I am going to get him a heating pad and put it in the lean-to just in case he wants it.

I'd just provide a few sheltered places and let her use what she wants. Does she mind being where she can't always see what's up, does she have to see everything? Her personality may define what sort of shelter she'll use.

Nevermind. Just read through the thread again and saw that she does have a shelter already. Sorry! If she's seems fine with the blanket that should work but it probably wouldn't hurt to stuff it with straw so she can burrow into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts