Cold sores

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by roadless, Nov 20, 2006.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Any suggestions in dealing with cold sores? The $15.00 for a small tube of Abreva is killing me. :shrug:

2. rivesjct3768

rivesjct3768 Well-Known Member

I have great success using Vitamin E oil when I first feel the tingle on my lip. Just pierce one of the oil capsules and apply oil directly to the sore. Also Melaleuca ointment works well.

3. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

Take a couple of L-lysine capsules when you first feel it and it'll never come out. Take the L-lysine after it comes out and it'll shrink it up and take away the pain. I use witch hazel on mine to clean it and speed healing without drying it up and making it bleed.

RedTartan

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I use a little baking soda and water to draw it out. If you catch it quick it will make it much smaller. It might sting a bit at first.

I get them from using any salve with petroleum products or drinking from plastic water, or soda bottles.

5. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

I'll second the L-Lysine...only we take two doses a day up to 1500 mg until the sore or threatened sore is completely healed. We also use apple cider vinegar to dab on it every so often to help dry it up and heal it and to prevent an infection....my youngest ds seems to always get his infected other wise.

I'll also second avoid balms and salves with petroleum products and the plastic drinking gear though I'm not sure why either one of those things make cold sores come or take longer to go away.

6. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

The melaleuca or tea tree would be my first choice. My 13 yo dd had a horrible canker sore, I had her swish with tea tree oil and warm water and salt and it was better in the am.

7. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a third vote for L-Lysine! I take it every two days on an empty stomach during the winter (dry air) season. It seems that I get cold sores then and not in summer.

8. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

L-Lysine is a great help. Another thing that you can do is expose the area to fIr light. THe far infraded light is harmful to the virus and makes it hard for it to comtinue to multiply.

9. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

I have been plagued by cold sores and canker sores for as long as I can remember. The past two years I have been taking l-lysine, an amino acid supplement, and I get few cold sores, and when I do they are tiny.

I take one 500 mg tablet daily for prevention. If I am going to travel, or if I feel a head cold or flu coming on, I increase it to one 500 mg tablet twice a day until the stress is over or cold is gone.

Lysine interferes with cellular use of arginine in herpesvirus replication. It's not mumbo jumbo. It's real science. And it works.

We also use it in cats to control THEIR herpes (upper respiratory virus) issues and eye problems. Works great in them, too.

10. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Whenever I feel them coming..always in the same spot...I squeeze them and get out all the stuff and then use an alchohol swap on them...really stings but works....every time for the last few years it has worked.

11. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I cant even be in the same room with someone that has one or I have it in the morning or Run my self ragged and I wake with one. I cant use anything with Menthol or Camphor or it gets Huge,Swelling, I look like I have a chicken beak. They also would last 2 to 3 weeks.Then I tryed Neosporin and it worked and was going away in 3 to 4 days it would be gone.I just got rid of one Go to $ store and get their brand it works too. I did buy the neosporin for the lips to carry in my purse for on the go.

12. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

As soon as you feel the tingle that tells you one is coming on, put ice on it. Hold the ice on as long as you can stand it. Repeat as often as you can.

13. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Cold sores are cause by a virus called Herpes simplex type I. A complete round of a good antiviral medication, prescribed by a doc, is the first thing to do. Once this is done, the cold sores will not recur as frequently. But keep the prescription anti-viral medicine on hand and at the first sign of tingling or itching, take the medicine for just one or two days.
    Please don't touch the open sore, as you might rub your eyes & get them infected.

14. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

L-Lysine !!!!! works every time. I caught them from my 2nd husband, he used to get them all over his mouth and chin! I got them twice a year like clock work for 20 years, till a lady gave me the L-Lysine. I do not get them now!!! I pop two caps when I feel the first tingle and one daily till the tingle stops! No sores!

15. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

my mother always put a hunk of alum on the sore, it burned but it worked. my 2 cents.

16. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

l-lysine has always worked,

17. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I used to pound the LLysine when I had a cold sore, but now I start using just a dab of Tea tree oil. A few times a day, as soon as I feel a tingle.
    I also have a lip balm with tea tree oil in it and use it ONLY when I have a cold sore. I DON'T use it when the sore is gone.

18. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We take the L-lysine every day and no longer have cold sores. When I did get them, at the lst hint of one I would put a dab of yoghurt on it and continue a few times and they would go away! Rita

19. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Well, some of you may remember me from other recent posts on this forum - but I recently went through swollen lymph nodes and am currently dealing with thrush. A couple of days ago I sprouted 2 remarkably HUGE fever blisters - overnight. I dipped cotton balls in apple cider vinegar and held them to the fever blisters for several minutes - and did it every time I thought of it. By that night, they were significantly reduced and the pain was gone. The next day I bought tea tree oil and dipped a q-tip in it and applied to the blisters. By that night they were dried up and peeling.

So I'm not sure if it was the vinegar or the Tea Tree Oil, but that's the quickest I've ever gotten rid of fever blisters! Now I'll swear by either or both.

Penny

20. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

The Quatum health care product folks have a good lip balm made with the Lysine. Comes in plain , strawberry ,orange. You can order directly from them and it's about 3 or 4 bucks a tube. Darn good stuff although I would not recommend the plain. Taste like your chewing on a candle.
    Another thing would be to watch you arginine intake. If it gets above the lysine intake it can help bring them about.