Cold protection idea for barn/shed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by elly_may, Oct 2, 2004.

1. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

An idea that I am going to try this year in case we have a winter as cold as last is: on the rafters I screwed cup holders and purchased some of those silver colored survival blankets that radiate body heat. I am going to tack some velcro loops on the corners and edges and loop those to the cup holders to create a tent that will drape over the stalls, but far enough they won't chew on them. On the long edges I will tack some velcro lengths so I can roll it up to the rafters when I don't need it. That way on cold nights, I can unroll the blankets and roll them up in the day. In the spring I can take them down easily and hose them off and reinstall without too much trouble.

Any one have input or experience with this type of idea ? ? ?

(Now I think I will get out my thermals - I am shivering just thinking about winter !!! :D )

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

This year I am trying a suggestion from a Boer Goat Breeder down the road. It is not as convienant as your as far as being able to put it up and take it back down, though. It is fairly cheap (In my area, anyway) and easy.
    We bought Geo-Textile Fabric and stapled it up on the walls. This is great for keeping out drafts and keeping it warmer.
    Tina

3. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

I really like both ideas. I especially like yours Elly May, thats a neat idea! Its that time of year again and I've been getting my list of things I need to stock up on in case we have a hard winter here in AR. Like water storage for one in case we have an ice storm. Don't think we will get much percipitation though, its so dry, the pond's even dry now.

Bernice