Cold morning on a Canadian school bus

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by rileyjo, Dec 7, 2006.

1. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

It was minus 20* here this morning which is below 0*F. I warmed my bus up, did my safety check and headed out to collect the kids. About halfway through the run, the little kindergarten in the seat behind me started crying loudly. I pulled over and checked on her.

She touched her tongue to the metal surrounding the window and it had frozen. Most Canadian kids have only ever tried this once because it hurts so bad. I had to keep her from panicking and ripping off her tongue. I tried to warm the metal with my fingers, no luck. Blood was flowing and freezing her tongue further to the bus window. I finally flagged down a car and sent the person to the nearest house for a bowl of warm water. It took 2 bowls but we finally freed little Katie from the window. I called the school and made sure the someone was going to meet me and get Katie more medical attention.
    My other students were great, orderly and helpful. We all gave Katie a round of applause for being so brave.

Lesson learned: Don't do what katie did.

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Every kid tries it ... I remember getting mine stuck to a fence post, but just a little bit because I thought *maybe* there was a grain of truth to the tale. It just seems so unbelievable, your tongue will STICK? no way! your tongue is warm! it'll just melt the frost off!

Nope.

My tongue hurt for a week, and I only got it a little stuck (I did pull it off myself). Poor Katie will hurt for much longer ... and probably none of the kids on your bus will ever try it now that they've seen what happens!

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Every kid I ever knew tried this -- except me :) My mother threatened me to within an inch of my life that if I ever tried it, my tongue would be the least of my worries. I was much more aware of what my mother was capable of than I ever was curious about the whole tongue/cold metal issue.

Good on you, Rileyjo -- I admire school bus drivers -- you folks must be the most patient souls on earth :) Poor Katie, though -- give that little girl an extra smile for me.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

For me it was a heavy iron clevis on a massive wooden barnyard gate. Unfortunatly my mother was present to help me turn this small incident into a major catastrophe. She decided to help by getting the tea kettle off the kitchen stove. She poured the lukewarm water on my tonge (and on my face, and down my shirt). Mind you it was VERY cold.....Now my entire face is froze to the iron. Ma finally decided a direct approach was best and wedged her hand between the clevis and my face, hooked my nostrils, and ripped me off!. The first sight I was greeted with was a grisly caricature of my own face still frozen (for posterity) on the clevis. Various chunks of lips, tonge, eyebrows, and a patch off the end of my nose.

Needless to say, lesson learned.............

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

The first thing they teach families at the Fort Richardson Alaska could weather indoctrination is not to stick your tongue to the great big huge metal trash dumpsters. Now I would have never thought of tasting a garbage dumpster if they had never told me that.. LOL After that I could never walk by one without thinking of it...still do to this day!

6. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I did that in Ohio growing up to a swing set LOL! Just the tip of my tongue, luckily I pulled away before it got all frozen on there lol.

At least once every winter we had a kid frozen to something LOL!

Kat

7. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I remember testing out the iron railing on my granmother's steps. When my kids were in school, they were taken outside with wet sponges so they learn the dangers of sticking their tongue where they shouldn't. All three swear they've never tried it but I have my doubts.

8. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Growing up we had a black lab that would lick the screen door to get let in the house. (It was very quiet but you could hear her, guess better then barking) Well one winter she learned to not lick a cold door.....poor dog how do you explain to them not to lick a metal door!

9. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Out of all of my kids two have had their tongue stuck to something. Just a few weeks ago I was working on a shed I am building and I stuck a -20F nail in my mouth without thinking and then ripped off a chunk of lip. You would of thought I would know better.

10. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member Supporter

Poor Katie.

Does this remind anyone of the movie, 'A Christmas Story'? :eek:

11. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

All the stories are rough, but tinknal - that's one horrible story to envison....

Angie

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My grandma stuck her tongue to the railroad track one frosty morning. Her brother ran home for warm water. She said she was so afraid a train would come before he got back!

My experience wasn't so traumatic. I stuck my tongue to an aluminum ice tray.

13. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

I got reprimanded at the end of the day (gently). I forgot the golden safety rule of always wearing disposable gloves when dealing with blood.

With my luck lately, those gloves would have frozen to the window, the blood and the tongue.

Bye the way, Katie is fine. Her tongue looks like liver but her mom stopped and thanked me which made my day brighter.

14. BarbG

BarbG Well-Known Member

Good for you!! Your now a hero in someones eyes:) My Cousin did this once in grade school. Stuck her tongue to a metal post while waiting for the bus!! It is one of my most vivid memories. I NEVER tried it. It took them forever to get her off, actually it couldn't have been that long as we didn't miss the bus:) Still makes me shudder to this day. I've warned my kids repeatedly, but I really like that sponge idea and I'm going to try it with my oldest. BarbG

15. tinda

tinda Well-Known Member

That hoar frost looks so good, almost like whipped cream!

The first time (slow learner) was the fly wheel on the tractor.
    The second was the pump handle.

OUCH!