Cold Hands

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Haggis, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

For the third time this fall my Jersey; Dorsey, has decided that she would not be milked. I think it has something to do with -15, -22, and -25 degree temps and my cold hands.

She kicks me off her udder with little in the way of gentleness and looks at me as if to say; "How would you like it if someone were to drag you from your bed and stick their frostbit hands on your sporran?

A door for the milking room and a forced air LP heater are in the works. Herself says Santa has a milking machine in his sleigh.

In the meanwhile, I am hoping for milder weather until the work is finished and we can make Her Highness a bit more comfy.

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Massage her udder, try warm water or try putting a calf in front of her. I know how those Jerseys are, we had one that did the same thing. However we busted out the grain and worked with her, she let it down.

Jeff

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

The girls over at the school farm were definitely more touchy yesterday afternoon than they had been in a while. But the wind was very cold and from the North and that is not a good direction for any barn in this area. We do not get much wind from the north and so the barns are not built to fight it.
    Our girls, on the otherhand, are toasty warm locked in the barn. And with 22 milking it is toasty! We usually only have around 16 but it didn't work that way this year.
    The heater will definitely help, but don't get her too warm if she has to go backout in the cold.
    Our cows prefer 40 degrees during the winter and do best at that temperature. Our feet don't appreciate it because they get very cold but cows produce the best at that.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Haggis, That is why them dark brown gloves are called jerseys. Wear them. She'll love you for it.

5. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

We just got a Jersey who is used to being milked by machine, not by hand or by letting little ole calvies nurse her. She don't like it LOL :p And I can't blame her since it is so new for her. So I hobbled her with one of those velcro hobbles so she can't keep kicking the calves and knocking over my bucket.

Laura Lynn

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

She wouldn't let me milk her yesterday morning at -25, but by evening it had warmed to -2 and she was glad to see me. I got a quart less milk than I have been getting for the two milkings; of course, she is about 8 months into this lactation.

When/if she falls to under a gallon to the milking I'll drop to milking her once a day. I have another Jersey due in a few days (fingers crossed for a heifer) so we won't need as much milk from this Jersey, and we won't need to agrivate her so often.

Thanks for the tips, and I will be getting some of Unc's "Jersey" gloves.

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Why do I have the idea that "sporran" isn't Scottish for "udder"? :haha:

My girls at work sometimes object when I hit them with the dip cup, but I can't really blame them! I certainly wouldn't want that part of my anatomy dipped in icy liquid at 5 a.m.!

8. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

I run 4 cups at a time, 2 for pre and 2 for post. I keep the two I'm not using in a pail of hot water and switch every 10 cows or sO

9. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Wow Dale, great idea! :)

I can just imagine the look on my boss' face if I suggested it though ... he thinks I'm a little nutty for giving the cows names! :eek:

10. dosthouhavemilk

They don't have names on their registration papers?

I confuse my boss because I am learning their names and their numbers and I am more likely to know their name than their number. Been there half a year adn i am still working on their numbers and names. I only work there on the weekends though.
    Now, our cows and goats and cats are a whole nother ball park. I can give you names, calving dates, breeding dates, due dates, sisters, sires, dams, etc. for any cow you point out. :haha:

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Oh, the registered ones do, but he doesn't use their names, just their numbers. :(

But after I started working there awhile, I started naming them ... it just seemed like the thing to do. And I would talk to them and call them by name so they learned their names.

I find it is real handy when the cows get stubborn about coming into the parlor ... I'll see who's standing around by the entrance and call them by name, and usually they'll come in.

12. dosthouhavemilk

lol. There is one cow at the school farm whose registration paper has vanished and with it her name. The funniest thing is that she is just on the line of being either a "Q" name or an "R" name.lol I call her Sparkle, even though that isn't what her name would have been. She has a white spot on her very dark forehead.

I couldn't tell you Sylvia's number if I wanted but I constantly scolding her. She and Sue, who is very nibby. Sue is actually 921...that one I know.

Hale Bopp knows her name...she hears it enough.lol I was showing a group around our farm once and I hollered down at Hale Bopp and she got up and headed towards the barn. They thought that was a riot.

13. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

mine get that way when they are "in"