Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you currently use a cold frame or frames to start early and grow later than others do in your area?do you have "the stuff" sitting around to make one in future?i think these are over looked tool....i know i read in old books they used fresh horse manure in bottom then covered in dirt/compost.the fresh horse manure heats up fast and hot and its where extra warmth came from to "power" these frames in coldest part of winter/spring.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I saw a great one the otherday on the way home from the store. Corrigated fiberglass. I have used a coldframe before and am seriously thinking of going back to them. I use a hoophouse and a greenhouse right now. But the seasons are so unpredictiable ,thus the variations in the ammount of warmth and sun make things really wonky.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I haven't used one before, but I think I want to try it. I've been out here for seven years, but I'm just now getting around to expanding my gardening to harder to grow and more temp sensitive things.

Y'all have to understand, before moving to the country seven years ago I had pretty much never grown anything but tomatoes, peppers and okra, lol. I've been on a steep learning curve ever since getting out here.

I like the idea of being able to extend the season for things like lettuce and other salad type vegetables. Maybe between a cold frame and my sprouts I could have fresh greens all winter, or at least most of it.

Heading off to read up on a the latest project added to my list...Elkhound, you just keep creating work for me, lol! :D

(My like button is only working sporadically again, argh!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts