Cold feeding kids? Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Nov 9, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Hey there all..... I think I just have too much time on my hands or something as I am wanting to try raising meat kids on the bottle from a dairy. I haven't talked to the dairy yet but she sells her buck kids cheap and had thought about getting about 15-20 of them and feeding them up for possibly christmas kids (if I can get the ball rolling that is) or getting some later on and having easter kids. A friend of mine had mentioned cold feeding and I looked it up online and I guess that cold feeding is a common thing with less cases of diarhea and just a well if not better growth. Somewhat interesting. I was just curious to see what you all did. I would need to make some of those bucket feeders of course as I don't wanna have to bottle feed same as 60-80 kids as I'll be feeding that 20 3-4 times a day. LOL!! Sounds insane if you put it like that huh? I'm kinda excited though..... what do you all think? I figured it might be better to advertise fresh from the farm as Louisville and Indy are only an hr away from me in either direction (actually indy is 1 1/2) and a lot of people prefer the fresh from the farm products. So I thought I would try to contact some of the health food stores and such and go about it that way. Better pricing and such as you set your own price (not far from market but a little higher) anyone else operate that way? I want to try to help the goats help me in all ways that they can. I love having them and that good enough for me but DH I don't think sees it quite that way..... lol!!

love to hear what ya'll think!! Thanks!!

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Yes it sounds crazy. If it were me, and I were serious, I'd start out with about 8 and see how it goes, make sure I can market them and they don't end up in my own freezer. I "room temp" feed my kids, from a bucket feeder, and they do fine. Hoegger supply has kits to make your own bucket feeder or they sell them ready made - in my experience, the black lambbar nipples hold up better in a "crowd".

3. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

I don't have goats, but sheep might be similar. I cold feed my bottle lambs with either a bucket feeder or I use calf bottles with lamb nipples. Both work great. I've heard they don't suck it down quite as fast that way. From the start before they become gluttons about it, I leave milk replacer in front of them all the time. Not sure about goats but lambs can get overeating, and bloat. I give them shots for that. I also make sure they have top quality hay and some creep to nibble on. Have fun with your kids!!

4. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I cold fed 3 babies this year and it worked great. My husband made me a pvc feeder with nipples on it and it worked great. It was cold out so we could leave it in front of them and they drank when they wanted. I didn't have any scours out of this batch. The nipples will get brittle if left in the sun so try to find a place in the shade to put them if you are leaving it out. Have fun!

Laina

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

When i worked at the dairy in Greenville-many years ago--kids were started w/black lambar nipples on pop bottles/warm milk--then broke to the lambar and "cool-cold" milk--milk came from the cheese cooler--they did fine on it--at any given time there was 10 pens set up-each holding 10 kids--each got a nearly full lambar bucket 2x day--she gave me a bunch of buck kids once, as she wanted rid of them by 3 days old--and "regular" couldn't get them that week---it did not turn out to be profitable for me--but times have changed-goat meat is more popular, ect.-it may work out for you! Good luck! :)

6. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

Are you planning on doing milk replacer? I found it is not cost effective by the time you mix your own or feed replacer. Replacer is expensive and a pain to mix for that many babies.