Cold and snow

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Dec 23, 2004.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

2. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Hello Hermit John ! Glad to see you posting. I guess you all are getting terrible weather this time around. Just not cold enough here in Shenandoah valley to snow or ice. We are thankful. Has been warm winter so far. Great for the heating bills ! I did not know you did so much vehicle repair work. I have a car electric window that is arbitrary. It works a little with grinding sound if the window and car is really warmed up. We can get it up if we slam the door hard while holding driver control in up position. Would you hazard a quess as to what is wrong with it?
    Hope you have a great Christmas. we have so much trouble here with our last teenage girl, we dread every day almost. Someday................ (Annette)

3. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in SE Kansas, it hit the zero mark. I have an automatic watering systemt hat did not survive even tho we had a continuous pump and a stock tank heater on it. Lookslike I'll be carrying water until it thaws out enought to fix pipes.....
    Tana Mc

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

I'll trade you. We're having a warm, green, wet Christmas, yuck. I'd like a good foot of the fluffy stuff on the ground for Saturday morning.

Stacy

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, weird weather for sure. Couple days ago we had well below zero temps, now we're back to high 30's and rain and mud. It's getting really windy out there, so something is brewing.

6. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

Sadly HJ, no, in my opinion, we aren't making progress, but the car companies are!! They are finding more ways to gouge us working stiffs for our hard earned money.......... :) Me, I'll take an old 60-70 something car/truck that I can fix just about any where......... Although I do have to say, that my 92 screwbaru, does really well...and she's got close to 300,000 on the odometer......luckily for me, I have alocal shop that treats me pretty well on any repairs that I need. I don't work on foreign stuff too well..............
    Yep, sure is cold here in nw arkansas...I'm off work now til the 3rd of Janurary, and am lovin it! Gonna spend chrismas day in yellville, with some of my homesteading family.......... then spend a LOT of time around the place....just staying warm, maybe hike some, haul/stack my two cords of wood.... take some pictures... maybe even clean up around the place a bit, if it warms up some. I don't like getting out and working too hard when it's this cold, as I sweat worse than most men I know...and I don't need to get sick.................

7. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Hi La Dona make sure you bank the fire good before you leave. Glad to see you are getting some time off for a switch and am glad you did not get some of the snow that others did.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........Hj , When I sell my place here in Texas , I'm going to try and purchase a Volvo station wagon(used ,of course ). In another thread , someone said to find a mid 80's to early 90's , year model ....without the Turbo . I'm wondering if they run OK , and I believe that they have a 4 cylinder engine , but are supposed to produce more than enough HP for the vehicle . What ?/ is amatta' with the turbo model? My guess is that the parts are very expensive to repair\rebuild ..Or..they weren't designed well! What can you tell me about the volvo station wagon in terms of reliability and fuel milage . I will need something to drive besides my 99 diesel that gets good fuel milage . From your posts I gathered that maybe you have owned a volvo in the Past . thanks , fordy.. :)