Cold air on the way???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, Dec 8, 2004.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

We all know that winter has to get here @ some point. Some of you have probably already had enough winter? I know I have. Areas in the Midwest&Great lakes have had on avg a very mild fall. Various sources are starting to point fingers @ a big turnaround coming. So just a heads up as we head into the latter half of December. I hope I'm wrong and winter never shows up!

I know Christmas of 2000 our low was -26f here in SW Wi...i don't want any of that!

Heres hoping to computer models being wrong!

2. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

Don't hate me, but I'm hoping for a lot of snow this year in Vermont. I think it helps keep everything in balance.

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I got a e-mail from my aunt and uncle this morning. This is the first year they are traveling around in there motor home. He said they were in the southern tip of Texas and the weathere had been in the high 70's and 80's!!! He said there is nothing down here to do but fish fish fish!! Then said oh well I guess someone has to do it LOL I just e-mailed him back and all I said was YOU BRAT!! LOL Hope you are having fun. Love you LOL

4. Snugglebunny

I don't complain about the cold and snow b/c it's the reason we don't have poisonous spiders and snakes and scorpions!!

With any good weather you pay for it...the warmer it is during winter, the more poisonous animals and insects you get.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I was reading the forecast for this winter in "The Old Farmer's Almanac" the other day. The forecast for our particular section of the country was for a mild winter until February, then the coldiest and snowiest February and March EVER!
    Shudder! :waa:

I'm wondering if I should tell my niece and nephew and former schoolmates that all live in Tucson if I'm coming for a visit, or just show up at their doorstep?

I'd rather be sunburned :eek: than cold and wind burned from winter :no: .

6. Snugglebunny

see, I'm just the opposite...I'd rather be cold...at least if you're cold you can put extra layers on or add another blanket to the bed. When you're hot and swealtering there's not much you can do to be comfortable.

Besides, with snow comes a chance of a snow-day where you don't have to go to work or something :) Can't say that for Hot weather!

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We need cold to put some ice on the lakes!

And, we need snow for our snowmobiles!

I hope the computer models are right.....

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

After all those hurricanes, I figure we're due for a blizzard in Orlando next!

9. FrankTheTank

I heard someone talking the other day about having their AC on down in New Orleans because of the 70F dewpoints....air conditioning in December??? strange. To date, the coldest reading @ my house has been right around 9F, which isn't that cold.

Its fitting that we had a mild fall up here after the summer that wasn't. Its neat to see the climate balance itself out.

I'll admit i like some winter, just not Jan,Feb,March worth of winter...i think all this cloudy weather isnt helping...so come on Artic high pressure, bring me some clear skies!

10. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

This has been the coldest and wettest winter we have had in quite some time in the AZ desert. Windy, if you go to Tucson don't forget to bring your coat. You may need it. Tucson is about 80 miles south of here. However, compared to other parts of the country, our weather would be considered mild I am sure.

11. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Winter is coming here - a few weeks ago we had 6 inches of snow, since then we've had weather in the 50's and days at 25 - That's New England for You!
    We are getting a big rain storm tomorrow and wish it was snow, i love it - throwing snowballs with the kids building forts with them, walking in it - we even bought them a beginner pair of cross country skis for christmas - so i'm definitely hoping for snow.

The only yucky part is clearing off the car and salting/sanding the 200' driveway we share with our neighbors - he snow blows it and i take care of the rest!

A hint for all of you who have long driveways, use a spreader (for doing lime on grass) for all your sanding/salting needs - works like a charm - the bigger the wheels, the better.

Happy snow

12. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

SNOW is a four letter word and y'all can keep it ;) . I would rather be hot than cold any day. Yesterday we had the windows open and enjoyed the nice weather. But it's not always that way around here. It could snow and I would like to see a white Christmas but I don't count on it around here. That's just a white Christmas, the next day, it can go away. I despise it after that and the ice is worse. I would rather have spiders and snakes than snow and ice

Laura Lynn

13. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I don't mind the snow so much as the ice! Our driveway faces north and once it gets icy, that's it. Last year I was breaking the ice up with a pick ax so we could get in and out, lol. I don't mind the cold either, but I do much better when it's sunny. Even in February the sun feels warm. So I'll take the cold clear days and soemone else can have the clouds and ice :D

Carla

14. kz

kz Well-Known Member

15. Snugglebunny

I've wondered about snowshoeing for the longest time - and now they've started selling them at just about any store. However, my two boys are still too little for it, and too big to be carried (My 3 year old is 40 lbs, and my 2 year old is nearly 30 - they're big, tall boys).

My DH hates the hot weather - brings out his psoriasis something awful. However, the dryer heated air during winter doesn't help either.

16. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I just got back from my son's graduation in Laramie, WY. Windy, cold not too much snow. Normal stuff there. Sure is good to be back in the "banana belt".

17. quiet mountain farmer

quiet mountain farmer Well-Known Member

farm in forest, in mountains of north Idaho
    I'm your kindred spirit. In love with snow. Have always been in love with snow. Forgive me, everyone else! But let me enjoy my fairyland of life!

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

We don't get very much snow here in central OK & our long-range prediction is for a colder & drier winter. So far it's been drier but not colder. It's supposed to go down to 22F tonight,with a warming trend during the week. We've been about !0 deg Above normal for the past several weeks. I hope the above normal temps continue because I can use the break on the heating bill.Our coldest temps are usually in Jan. & Feb.We'll have to wait & see.

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

OK, now it's getting personal...I actually had to de-ice the windshield this morning. It this keeps up, I'm moving to Florida....wait a minute, I am in Florida...can I blame this on those hurricanes. Excuse me, I'm going to call FEMA now. If Miami can collect millions of dollars in FEMA money for storms that never hit them, I might be able to collect for a blizzard in Central Florida!

20. FrankTheTank

It looks like the cold air isn't going to stay very long here in the midwest...I see N. MN is below zero as i type...thats nice to see...and its about 20F here...after that wind yesterday, i'll take it!

Good luck down there in frigid Florida...just remember your CA brothers/sisters who have been freezing for the past couple of weeks...

Were 9F above avg for Dec. so I can't complain....

[​IMG]

uh oh...upper 60's in Miami...pull out the wool sweaters and electic blankets...:)