codes in Ar?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by boxwoods, Oct 2, 2006.

1. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I called a real estate agent in Ar today and she says to me that the whole state has a code that plumbing and electric has to be done by a licensed plumbing/electrical contractor. Is this true?

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Arkansas??? hmmm... that would suprise me, but it could be a law.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

The whole country from what I understand is officially under building codes. Just some unincorporated areas dont enforce them and I believe individual localities can have codes more strict than national codes. For example requiring copper water pipe instead of cpvc. The only thing around here they are now hot on is septic systems. You want rural water, you have to have an approved septic. If anybody bitches about hiring a licensed electrician, it will be your electric company or insurance company.

4. boxwoods

Yes, there are federal building codes on the whole country, delegated to the States. but some states are not enforcing yet. I was surprised to hear that Ar had codes that require licensed electrical and plumbing installers. Even here in NY, we are allowed to do our own electric and plumbing, though. It does have to be inspected.

5. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

Here in WA state, we are subject to building by code however a homeowner may do the work themselves. They have to get the permits and be inspected just the same as a licensed contractor.

6. I use to be a electrician in Arkansas. If the electrical work is hired to be done then you have to have a licensed electrical contractor to do the work. However, I am not sure about if you are doing your own. I do know that in some towns you have to have a city permit with the electrical contractors name before you can proceed with the wiring job. Don't know nothing about the plumbing regulations.

7. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

If it is on your on home you don't have to hanve any licenses...Now a perk test is needed to get on rural water...But if there was a prior septic system you don't have to have one...It is pretty laid back in this neck of AR...MissKitty :baby04:

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

DITTO that come to Maddison or Newton county AR Boxwoods, People do their own wireing and plumbing or hire a local expert LOL No inspections,zoning and all, it's still a realitively free county or I would not have my home there.

9. grams

grams fiber crone

You must have a license to do plumbing work in Arkansas unless you work only on your own residence or agricultural buildings. The agriculture buildings must be outside city limits and they mustn't be connected to a public water line, sewer, or gas line.
    From this site. http://www.contractors-license.org/ar/Arkansas.html
    And also, most anyone who has worked in construction in Arkansas for years will tell you that the state building code is still the old Southern Building code. It isn't it is IBC, just in case you need to look up a code.
    Hope it helps

10. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

not laid back at hog loadin time huh?
    :rolleyes:

11. boxwoods

Thanks for the responses! :)

12. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

My county and the 2 adjoining counties have codes - one is pretty lax, one has a lot that were spurred by the tornado that hit in 1967, ours is between the two. However, a handful of developers have a small group of inspectors in their pockets. At one time, you had to be or pay a licensed electrician otherwise house would not pass. Thing was, if you didn't "know" the right people, you could not get a license. This mess went to court and guess what, all I have to do is go down and pay a fee and I can call myself a licensed electrician. Ya gotta love the swings from one extreme to the other.

13. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

:help: Now loadin them hogs is something else....This neck of the woods has alittle lady that knows all about loadin them hogs...be them big...bigger...are biggest...
    Tis a site to behold :baby04:
    Ask the Franklin country lady her hog loadin ways, and being the wonderful person she is...I would bet she would tell you and might egen come and give you some pointers.... :cool: ...Love you EI and Siryet!!!!!...MissKitty

14. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

Back in SC I took a 6 hour test issued by the state to become a licensed residental home builder, when we moved here to MO I called and asked what do I have to do to transfer my license. The people I talked to had no idea what I was talking about!!! I spend $$$ of dollars to get a license back there, here all anyone has to do is have a bond, insurance and $100. for the license. I have a bond and insurance but refuse to PAY the Tax (I call it that for a license) untill I have too!
    Around here I could 'license' one of my roosters if I pay the $100 tax!

15. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

boxwood - Realtors (r) have a code of ethics which requires that they do not hand out means by which to get around or over look laws. :)

It's been over 9 years, but I think we had to have a perk-test for the septic system. And I think it was the insurance company which required a licensed electrician and plumber to atleast inspect our house before it could be insured.

Hugs
    Marlene

16. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

We did all of our own plumbing and electric. We had even asked the county inspector if we needed any permits for the work we were doing. He looked as us funny and asked, "For what?". That answered THAT!

Of course, any time you work on someone else's house, you must be certified... (or at least shake hands on the understanding that you aren't!)

If we were to plug into the town's water we'd have to abide by septic regulations. But, since we are on well and have over 10 acres, we aren't even required to HAVE a septic system. (But, yes, we do.)