coccidious treatment

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, Mar 20, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

my friend gives her goats di methenol injectable orally for coccidious is an i.v. drug effective if given orally is this a quicker cure then the water solutoion cures what would be the benefit to this ???

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this myself..but I just don't know ?? I give the oral corid with their water. Can't seem to manage to get it down their throats orally. I don't know how effective it actually is. I have been told once you have it in your hears all you can really do is learn to control it. Hard and disappointing at times for sure. Good Luck !!

3. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

There are two types of Di-Methox:

Di-Methox 40% injectable
    Use as a preventative for coccidiosis. Start Treatment at three weeks of age, administer twice daily 1/2 cc mixed with milk for one week (14 doses total) and 1/2 cc dose once a week until weaned.

Di-Methox 12.5% solution
    Five day treatment- you must treat the full five days.
    Day one: 1 ml per 5 pounds- given orally.
    Days 2-5: 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally

Both are given orally.

I have used both. Last year I switched to the 40% Injectable given orally, and will use that this year too.

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi,

We also use the Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox and Albon are two brands of Sulfadimethoxine) for Coccidiosis. We use Corid for cattle and it works great, but have not found it effective in goats here in a climate where we produce parasites in abundance. Our feed for the kids up to one year also includes medication for Coccidia.

The good news is that they should develop an immunity to it. We have found that it isn't much, if any problem after about a year old.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

think I will try the Di-Methox this year. Sounds much better than the corid or alban I have used in the past. coccidiosis will stunt a goats growth which is sad.

6. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

thank you for the reply its not that i didnt trust my friend shes kinda new with them too and i didnt want to take any chances thank you

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I give Decoxx-M. I bought it from Jeffers. It is a powdered cocci prevention that I put into their bottles once a day, 1/2 tsp each. I am going to give that until they are weaned at 3 months and then they will be on a cocci medicated feed.

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I get Sulmet which is the cheapest Sulfa. When I treat a case of cocci I never mix in water (you just don't know how much will get into the system that way) but give orally via syringe. It works great and the good thing is you don't need to give Vit B afterwards. I treat cases for five days and really bad ones for a week.

9. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Where can I get this stuff? I went to the co-op and called the vet and none had it!

10. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

jeffers online www. jefferslivestock.com

11. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Corid (amprolium) is not as good for goats as it is for cows. If you do use it be sure you give them extra viatamin B as amprolium halts absorption of it as a measure to kill the cocci.