Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've raised sheep for many years but have never had a year like this. We're losing a lamb a day to coccidiosis. We had a fecal test done for the diagnosis. We are treating their drinking water with Corid, and gave a Corid drench too. We've separated the symptomatic lambs from the apparently healthy, and we just have one of the symptomatic lambs left alive. Is there anything left to do? Next year we will drench the ewes with Corid 30 days prior to lambing, as I've seen suggested, as well as treat their water 30 days prior to weaning. This has been a very sad and costly experience.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't appear either drug mentioned above are available in the US.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
horseprereace.com

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
This is what I use
https://horseprerace.com/toltrazuril-5-200ml/

It's 1cc/5# animal weight, every 21 days as an asymptomatic pre-treatment or every 10 days as treatment with symptoms. It's given orally and apparently doesn't taste too bad because I generally don't have to chase them around when they see me coming. Di-methox was a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Coccidia is a problem with an impeded immune system. I would be looking at feed water parasites and supplements. Never used a coccistat here except on a batch of new ewes. Still use what you need today!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,772 Posts
Coccidia = parasite

Coccidia are a subclass of microscopic, spore-forming, single-celled obligate intracellular parasites belonging to the apicomplexan class Conoidasida. As obligate intracellular parasites, they must live and reproduce within an animal cell. ~ Wikipedia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts