coccidia product for water

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dairy goat love, Sep 4, 2006.

1. dairy goat love

dairy goat love Member

i need ideas on a cost effective product for coccidia.i prefer something to put in the water verses drenching.also doses would be helpful.i am having a problem with my kids growing up as they should,they just seam to stay small forever,then at a year or so they grow all at once.thanks

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the best would be to put diccox-m in their milk bottle. start very early about 1/4 teespoon per day per kid. i assume you are using lambar?
    after that you could put corrid in the water but be warned that you can easily miss some because they are not drinking enough. feeding medicated pellets might be a better way. but again, you have to make sure everybody eats the amount they need in order to prevent coccidia.
    may i ask why you don't want to give it orally to the kids?

3. dairy goat love

dairy goat love Member

i have been using dimethox 40% injectable 1cc per ten pounds for five days every month.they are weaned now before they got it everyday in the milk.maybe i am expecting them to grow too fast.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

they can only grow to their genetic potential :)
    instead of using di-methox once a month try to be on a 20 day scedule. in doing so you will brake the lifecycle from this damaging parasite.
    it is also important to have a break inbetween treatment so that the animals can built an immunity against it. they should be fine with out coccidistad when they are six to seven month old.

5. dairy goat love

dairy goat love Member

very true and i think i'm finding that some of mine are a slow maturing line anyway-not sure if that is good or bad. i will change to every 20 days.thanks