Cobb Family Auction

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by RedHogs, Nov 1, 2006.

1. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

I've been watching the online showpig auction today and found a young gilt i wanted to buy, but at 2200 dollars i'm gonna have to pass.... and they say pig prices are going down.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

That must be one Very , high dollar breeding gilt??Whats her backround??I would think at that price All of her offspring, Would sell for breeding stock.

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I WISH I could have a Cobb sow/gilt. But can't justify the money. Duncan is just around the corner. I wonder what those prices are going to do this year. Had all set up to go and can't get out of work that week.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you talked to others in your Area?? You might could get 4-5 others to go in on this gilt. And then split the piglets evenly around. But if you can get EVERY THING in writting.

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I don't like to partner on animals. Someone always gets a raw end of the deal.

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I understand that investing in high quality Foundation Stock has it's place -
    But wouldn't AI Breeding to top Boars and discriminating culling be a more economical route to Top Quality Stock?... :shrug:

7. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

Economical yes, but just like boars,my select sows have had a huge genetic impact on certain traits, bringing in a super sow can save 15 generations or 15 years. In addition, what people will pay for your stock is judged often by what you payed. The show circuit is relatively small and people talk. still at 2200 for an unproven gilt is too high for me.