Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to try the cobalt sulfate on one of my chronically thin does. She is one of my rescues that was severely malnourished and had coccidiosis as a young kid. I know her digestive tract was permanently compromised, so she can use all the help she can get. Alice, she has shown all the signs you have mentioned with your cobalt deficient doe; picky eater, thin, runny eyes and rough coat. Same feed and management as her twin sister who is glossy and getting fat. She had healthy vigorous twins this year. Her swarthy doeling is now as big as she is. She's clean, been dried off, no worms, she looks poor and just not putting on weight.

The cobalt sulfate just arrived in the mail and I gave her a pinch in a PB sandwich. Is there anything I should be doing in conjunction? She's not on death's door and not in need of other support. I just wasn't sure if the cobalt works in conjunction with other supplements/treatments or if it just does its thing independently. Is it once a day? Do I give a higher or more frequent initial dose(s) then taper off to a maintenance dose once she's improving? How long does it take before results are obvious that it is working? TIA for any advice. The bag came without instructions. I've found lots of research info but no supplementation recommendations.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,146 Posts
B vitamins, too. I have a multi B powder that I add to the peanut butter.

Yes, once a day for at least two weeks. It takes about three weeks to see improvement.

Crush and add a zinc once a week, as well.

I'd give her Replamin Plus once a week, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts