Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning Hubby and I were watching GMA while having our coffee. The Jonas Brothers were on this morning. They donated some coats and gave a check in the amount of $10,000.00 to buy coats for children. The guy that was on this morning made a comment to the effect that ten thousand dollars would buy almost 800 coats. I just thought WHERE ARE THEY SHOPPING?
Bloomingdales? Macys?

I looked at Hubby and said "Go to a discount store and get 2,400, 3,200 or more coats."

I see where some of you come from when you have posted the comments about what people think of "cutting back" at $150.00 dresses, etc.

SGG-Jan

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You have to remember the administrative costs thye have to deduct and delivery and insurances etc. Ny hubby stopped giving to United Way when he found out only 20% of contributionsa were actually used the rest went to admisnistrative costs...everyone needs their cut before the money actually gets to where it is going. It speaks a lot for american charities.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
800 coats for $10,000 would be $12.50 a coat.

at the goodwill store here coats are about half that for kids sizes, and a lot of them are not what I would describe as a "good, warm coat". I think if you can buy a kid a good, warm coat for $12, you're doing ok. can you really get something that will keep a school aged child warm and dry in snow and sleet for $3 or $4 where you live?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
800 coats for $10,000 would be $12.50 a coat.

at the goodwill store here coats are about half that for kids sizes, and a lot of them are not what I would describe as a "good, warm coat". I think if you can buy a kid a good, warm coat for $12, you're doing ok. can you really get something that will keep a school aged child warm and dry in snow and sleet for $3 or $4 where you live?

OK...I confess. My math was off. :eek: I was figuring that each coat would cost $125.00 each if ten thousand dollars was spent to buy 800 coats. Guess I need to go back to my calculator.

Jan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts