Coat Hanger from Deer Hooves????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rita, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago I remember seeing a coat hanger made from deer hooves. Our grandson (age l4) just got his first deer and we wanted to have a way for him to remember this. I then remembered the coat rack. If the deer feet are placed in the bent position and held there with something that they would stiffen-up in that position? Has anyone made one? I will do an internet search if no one on the Forum knows what I am talking about. Thanks!

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Somebody gave my Dh a gun rack that was made from deer legs several years ago. I don't know how they did it, but they must have been preserved some way. It seems like they would rot if they weren't.

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I've seen coatracks like that. You will have to take them to a taxidermist otherwise they will decay.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, if you are a DIY kind of person, I would think they would be one of the easiest things to taxidermy.

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Rita, Here is how I've done it. First cut the leg bone about 6 inches behind the knuckule behind the hooves straight through with a saw. Then bend the hoof at the 45 degree angle it goes easy only one way. Then I tie a loop in one end of a 1/4 inch nylon rope bigger than the hoof. Put the loop around the hoof. Put a nail or bolt in the end of the bone that is exposed, let it stick out enough for the rope to be tied to it. Leave hanging somewhere for the winter. By summer it's dried out enough to work. Now make your plaque as you like it, next drill two holes alittle bigger than the deer bone that will be exposed from the drying. You might have to trim the skin back from the bone to let the bone come through the board just enough to be flush with the other side, that will face the wall. Then I put a small amout of liquid nails on the inside of the board holes. Push your leg bones through the holes and set them straight aligned with each other facing front. Let sit or lay flat until dry. You have your trophy legs for display! shadowwalker

7. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, thanks a lot for all the good information. The link gave some other unique uses that I would never have thought of. Rita

8. VAcrafter15

VAcrafter15 Member

Rita great question, looks like other have sucessfully made cool coat/hat hangers. Their tips are already in use the legs/feet are a hanging and dryin...You really must be proud of your grandson, see ya soon....Johnny boy