Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting myself geared up for burning coal next winter. I have burnt a little lump coal already, which I break down with a maul. I currently do not have a stove with a stoker fan, so the efficiency stinks. I am however, buying a new wood/coal furnace setup with stoker fan and heat blowers. With the new stove I could then burn stoker coal.

The questions I have are:

(1) What type of coal do you prefer burning for the greatest efficiency and most bang for your $?

(2) What's the cost per ton you are paying in your area?

(3) Do you think you are saving money burning coal versus fuel oil, propane, electric, etc?

·
Registered
746 Posts
We've used a wood/coal stove for 25 years. DH paid $135/ton for chestnut anthracite (hard) at the mine in June. BIL paid $150 in September. We use about 1 1/2 - 2 ton per winter along with ? amount of free self cut wood for our 1500 sq ft house. The stove is in the basement and we have a one story, so it is usually the only heat we use. This week the heat pump has been running, as I was cold at 68 degrees with temps near 0 at night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I heated with coal when I lived in Utah a year and a half ago. I had a wood and coal burning stove and I loved it. I didn't break the coal up because it lasted a whole lot longer when I didn't. I would put a big piece in the stove at night along with wood, and it would burn for about nine hours.
If I bought directly from the coal mine, it cost me $38 a ton. If I bought in the city, it cost me about $68 a ton. Since the city was closer, we usually bought it there.
A ton typically lasted me a year. But I always burned it along with wood.

·
Registered
11,978 Posts
You might want to hold off on heating withh coal until we all find out what Obama really wants to do with coal.

Remember his comment? He backed off, but I wonder if it's still part of his hidden adjenda....

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
We do not have a furnace but we do burn coal in 2 of our upstairs stoves. We have a home made barrel stove in the basement for wood..and the 2 stoves upstairs have the grates to use coal. We buy the chesnut coal and last when I checked it was around $160 a ton if you picked up yourself. It will certainly last longer. I start a wood fire and then add the coal after it gets rolling really well. I keep a window in that room cracked open a bit for the gases..just for safety but even with insulation this old farm house is never air tight by any means. I would certainly give it a try. It will take you a while to get the hang of using coal but I think you will be pleased with it. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
92 Posts
My parents heat exclusively with coal and have since 1970. In Kentucky, you can't buy coal at the mines anymore due to some OSHA-type regs, so the price isn't that great considering we are all sitting on coal around here. I've forwarded your questions to my Dad, the self proclaimed coal expert, and will post again. Dad has owned a coal mine, worked as a surveyor in a mine, operated equipment at a strip mine, worked as a miner in an underground coal mine, and used coal all his adult life, so I'm sure he'll have an opinion or two.

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to say that I run two coal stoves at my workplace. The big one has a stoker fan so I can get by with moreof the broken down fines. The other stove is a 110 year old enamled upright. I start out burning wood till some coals start, then I add the coal just like mentioned above. I do understand coal burning, I just wanna use it in my own home now.

Lump coal is getting tough to find in this country, but a local guy goes down to Wyoming and brings a load stoker coal for the county hospital and school quite often. A few places want lump coal around here too, and they bring a load of that at times. My boss buys the lump coal from this man for $100 a ton.

We use to have our own coal mines left over from the family homestead, but since they became to dangerous from caving in, the state posted signs there and filled them in and seeded grass back. So much for free coal now.

BeagleMommy, that would be great to get more info! I surely appreciate, thank you.

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might want to hold off on heating withh coal until we all find out what Obama really wants to do with coal.

Remember his comment? He backed off, but I wonder if it's still part of his hidden adjenda....
What did I miss? I don't see tv very much at all, so I admitt I am unaware of what Obama has been scheming.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
What did I miss? I don't see tv very much at all, so I admitt I am unaware of what Obama has been scheming.
I wonder, too. Living in the EU we get different sound bites (or fewer, I should say) then you do so I'd like to know what he said originally and what is seems to be saying now. Of course, he's a politician like all others and you never REALLY know what they are thinking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From my Dad:
(1) What type of coal do you prefer burning for the greatest efficiency and most bang for your $?
What ever is available in our area ( It is west Kentucky #9) The best coal that one can get is central Appalachian coal which would probably cost $150.00 per ton.
(2) What's the cost per ton you are paying in your area?
This year the cost is $75.00 per ton for 11,000 to 12,000 BTU 3/4" stoker coal in western Kentucky
(3) Do you think you are saving money burning coal versus fuel oil, propane, electric, etc?
We have saved money in past years, but it is questionable with $75.00 per ton coal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts