Co-worker suffers plant theft from yard

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by birdie_poo, May 24, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

What the heck is the world coming to?

Was talking with one of the deans, this morning and she was telling us that someone came into her back yard and stole a barrell cactus that she planted there in 1977.

She has her suspicions of who it was so we told her she has to call the police because there may be tohers who suffered the same fate and maybe can link the offender, somehow.

She thinks it was a guy that used to do their trees, since he was very knowledgable and knew that was a very rare and valuable kind of barrell.

She lives in a very rural area, so no one would have noticed someone in her yard. She has dogs too, but if they are familiar with people, letting them on the property is not a problem.

It just blows my mind the balls on some people to walk onto someone's property and spend that kind of time to dig up something like that!

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

work hard for something and have someone come along and take it i hate a theif

3. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Sad isn't it? If this is down near the Mojave, the National Park and surrounding areas have huge problems with poachers stealing cactus for resale. Sadest part is that many of them never fully recover from the transplanting and they grow very slowly, so the popluation is being lessened faster than they can replace themselves. :no:

4. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

It's a sad day when you are afraid to leave your plants home alone. :( I had someone steal my trash can one day..I found out who it was..(my house # painted on it was a big clue ) and they said oh we found it in the street and thought you weren't using it anymore..I guess the trash inside didn't tip them off. lol

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

That is so sad, what is the world coming to?

6. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Funny thing...the new guys across the street from us ended up having some 'new' cans that looked just like the ones that ended up missing one week, from our house...like we would never know living RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET!

7. TrailDog

TrailDog Member

It was pink lady slipper orchids back in my home town. People would dig 'em up by the hundreds -- one guy once bragged to me that he and his wife had dug up a thousand in one weekend -- and then sell them at the local flea market.

Thing is, these have a particular mychorrizal relationship in the soil that they require to survive. So, all these transplanted lady slippers survived one to two years, tops, in someone's yard and then died off completely.

Don't know if that still goes on there or not, but I know it was still happening in the mid-1990s.

8. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Yep, many National Parks have poachers going after orchids and medicinal herbs too. There's one here that has problems with people stealing the carniverous plants too, darlingtonias.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I was living in a huge apartment over about six garages, with a gigantic porch --- just huge --- in the middle of a city. And I'd turned the porch into a gardening paradise, I tell you!

But I came home one day and found half the plants missing. :grump: :grump:

So I walked out into the street and looked around and happened to glance up into a third story apartment across the street. Where they stupidly didn't have any curtains, meaning there it was for all the world to see: MY :grump: :grump: PLANTS!!!

So I called the freaking cops on them ... and the cops actually came and they actually believed me and they went to the apartment and the guys claimed they didn't do it but finally admitted yes they stole all the plants from me ...

And I got all of them back. :D

10. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

This is pretty common in AZ. Not just rare plants either. I know two different families that spent the weekend planting flowers and bedding plants in front of their houses, only to come home Monday evening to find everything stripped from the flower beds.

11. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, this happened to me when I lived in the city, anything in the front yard or on the front porch was at risk. So I put a child's bike out there that I wanted to get rid of---they never did take it---guess they could tell it was broken.

12. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

\
    LOL That is too funny..nothing sadder than a stupid theif! At least I know I'm not alone. :rolleyes:

13. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

In my rural west Tennessee county, we have a big problem here with stolen pets.

During the last few days of every month, folks begin to go onto people's private property and make off with the type of dogs that will sell well. Then, the first weekend of the month, there are several local flea markets. Inevitably, these stolen dogs will show up at the flea markets.

If they do not sell by the end of the weekend, the thieves just dump the dogs somewhere in a remote rural area. They don't even bother to keep the dogs for a month to try and sell them the next month.

Why should they? They can just steal more dogs right before the next month's flea markets.

:(