Co-op

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Mar 25, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

This is probally a dumb question but ...

What exactly is a co-op?

I mean I know its a group of persons getting together, helping each other, etc. But I'm wondering what this entales.

I seem to remember reading about food co-ops. How do these work? I know there are membership fees etc....

are there any of these in Missouri?

Reguards,

Don

2. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

CD - THANKS for the link!!! That site is incredible - and I already have made some new 'markets' for some of my own things!!!

thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

Sue

3. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

In rural areas farm co-ops are BIG BUSINESS.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

In theory it is a group of folks getting together & funding a business. You put in some money, and at the end of the day if it makes anything you get some money back. The coop can't be 'pofitable' but must return any gains back to the folks that founded it. However, the coop will need to keep some of the money it makes to continue operations, so you end up getting a tiny dribble of money, plus you own equity in the coop.

Works well if it's a well run business of a few 100 similar minded people focusing on 1 or 2 projects.

Becomes just another business when it becomes CENEX, Farmland, etc.....

I belong to 4-5 of the big ag coops.

For the little startup neighborhood coops, much better involvement, but often underfunded & lose focus on where to go.

Basically, just another way of forming a business, and fails to the same problems that haunt any business.

--->Paul

5. soapmakermom

soapmakermom Well-Known Member

I have belonged to a food coop for many years. Basically, we are a bunch of women (sometimes men, too) who get together to order food from companies that provide natural or organic foods or products. We order from Tree of Life, Frontier, Frankferd Farms, Something Better, and more. All these companies provide top quality natural products and food. Each member pays 3% of their bill to the coop, which pays for delivery costs, etc. We used to rent a building, but currently meet in a home. We have 15 members right now. I would look on the United Natural Foods website, you may find a food coop near you. They usually list coops that are open to new members.
    Mary

6. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Just for the record.

I currently live in town and we are forced to be on an electric coop. The rate to be a member is just over $30/month. I personally think this is ridiculous, since the for profit company who serves customers less than a mile from where we are charges just $7.50/ month to be hooked up. The kw/ hr rate is the same. Can anyone explain to me why I should want to be a member of this coop?

I also belong to a food coop just so I can get certain foods, especially organic, which I cannot obtain anywhere else. I am happy with the food coop though. I guess it is because I have a choice in the matter.

7. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Bob,
    Historically coops were formed to provide electric service to areas that were not profitablr for the for profit electric companies. Historically being the magic word there.

Eric