Clutterers!!! Time to come out of hiding!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Nov 7, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha:

Okay, clutterers! Where are you and what have you been doing?

:yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha:

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

:worship: Taskmaster, I have finally completed my vestibule closet! Now, I only have shoes and unbrellas in there. Of course, if DH would finish building it, I could put coats in it, too. :rolleyes:

Except for the 2 closets in my bedroom, my decluttering, and fall cleaning, is done. I can't believe how great my place looks and I can clean the whole thing in under 30 minutes! And, yes, my sink is shiny! :D

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek:

Well ... :waa:

Gayle, I am unhappy to report I have fallen down on the job. Although I did take a carload of stuff to the local thrift shop today (including two file cabinets and a giant bag full of unidentifiable cords and switches), and I've started yet another Goodwill box.

And the place is beginning to look downright sparse.

But winter is coming and the plant room (which was once the bedroom until I decided to turn it into the plant room because I bring in so many plants over the winter that it's impossible to walk through, much less sleep in) is already almost full and I haven't even brought in half the plants yet or set up my indoor mushroom farms.

I've also managed to get most of my tools stuffed into two tool boxes so I can find them easily, and I finally gave away that *&^* electric coffee maker that made the worst coffee imaginable but that I felt guilty about not using.

I also got the ten pound bag of Kentucky Bluegrass out from under the living room table where it's been sitting for almost two years. :rolleyes:

And the size 7 seersucker pants that I so loved --- but that I haven't been able to get into for ten years --- are no longer taunting me from the closet.

So there's progress.

But not like you! I've been deleting those Flylady emails fast as they come in. :eek: Guess it's time to start reading them again. :haha:

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Thanks for thinking of me. I hadn't realized we had met.
    LOL

5. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Hey, I found the bag of grass seed I've been looking for, too! It was in that closet. Luckily, I found it in time to plant it this year, so, next spring, I should have some grass on the bridge.

Sounds like you haven't been slacking off too much! I am mostly trying to keep it from getting back to the way it was, now. The kids and I do a quick cleaning every morning, then I nag them to put things back where they got them the rest of the day.

I got a compliment from Dan, yesterday. He told me the house looked great and it was a pleasure to come home to. He, also, said that he wouldn't be afraid to bring anyone into it, now. Then, he compared our house to those of his friends, who's houses are pigpens. He said you have to move half a truckload of junk, just to sit down.

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

It's better, Gayle, but still ... yoikes!!!

It was actually neater when I kept one room and bathroom completely full of junk (not to mention, the closets) and simply refused to ever open the doors to them. :haha:

So I really am making progress --- it's just so hard to see because I have so many projects going on and am working on the place at the same time and I don't have enough storage --- I mean, I really don't!

The first thing I'm going to do when classes are over (meaning I have a month's vacation :D ) is figure out how to build a nice pantry AND some huge shelves in the big bathroom. Those alone will eliminate half my problem. Right now, I have canned pumpkin and coconut milk everywhere :rolleyes: , and in a day or so, a case of falafel mix (which I'm addicted to :D ) and 10 cans of tahini I found on sale for $2/15 ounce can (!!) [I'm also addicted to tahini, which I use to make hummus {yummy!!} and sugarfree halvah and all kinds of things with] will be here in another day or so.

You don't even want to know where all the green beans and rice are. :rolleyes:

And the towels are currently neatly folded and sitting on top of a solar oven because I have no place to put them, except the sides of the bathtub.

So shelves and a pantry will solve half my problem.

:yeeha: :yeeha:

BTW, congrats on finding the grass seed! I was so proud I finally got mine planted. :D

7. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

My daughter and I love hummus, too (with a drizzle of good olive oil). Oddly, none of the boys can stand it. We say, "Good! More for us!":)

8. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder! I fell way behind when the baby was born and accumulated even MORE junk(!) Today I actually cleaned out the car thoroughly, which makes me feel like I've accomplished quite a bit. Although, my kitchen sink still does not shine :(

9. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My efforts have slowed considerably. My sink hasn't always gotten shiny this week. I had evening meetings and a weekend class which totally messed things up for me.

But even with all of that the clutter is gone from most of the house- still have the garage to do. Plus I have been able to set up and start on my egg crafts. For now that's simply good enough for me. :)

I have been deleted my FlyLady e-mails too the past week - but I'll get back on track soon enough!

10. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Yippee Took down 7! bins of books from closet and sold $250.00 of them to a nice lady. Gave away 2 tubs of homeschooling books to a woman who has a homeschool library for locals (glad they went to a good home). Still have a lot of books maybe ebay?
    Now I have an exam table, OR light and stainless surgical carts to get rid of. It seems like there is more and more but I can see the bottom of my closet now:)
    Also got rid of junk in the trunk of the car.
    Jodi

11. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

Oh countrygrrrl, I feel your pain about the pantry, I have one but I just can't fit anything else in there. It's really a closet under the steps, and I keep all my paint in there (about 20 gallons, lol) all of my "emergency" water, the vacuum, carpet shampooer, broom & mop, food, pots & pans, the small kitchen appliances and it's our winter coat closet (the only closet downstairs). Oh and the kids toys because they can't be trusted to have them in their rooms. I really wish I had a coat closet to use, but that's the trade off for having an old house.

I have a couple of bags to go to Goodwill, but I normally give them to my SIL when she visits since she works at one of their stores, but she hasn't been by. I guess I'll have to go myself.

I did get the junk drawer in the kitchen cleaned. I used a silverware tray to keep stuff seperate. So far so good.

I have noticed that it is easier to keep up with things when dh isn't home. All week the top of the entertainment center has been clear but this weekend it has accumulated 3 piles on it. I'll clean it off today and see if it stays clean until he gets home again.....maybe it's not all me :)

Carla

12. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

I need to get started on my fall cleaning!! I went to a gentleman friends house this weekend. He is a single dad of 3 kids and his house was incredibly CLEAN!! I am totally ashamed that mine is not!! So the rule for this week is to get started on cleaning the house!! I have lots of stuff that I need to get rid of too! Gotta get busy! Especially if I want this single gentleman friend to come to my house!! I have really been totally slack about cleaning the house this year! SHAME SHAME SHAME ON ME!!

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Carla, my plan is to get the junk closet completely cleaned out (I have about 20 more boxes in there to go --- it's a wide and tall closet and literally stuffed :rolleyes: ) and turn that into the vacuum-carpet cleaner-etc closet. :D

Then, I want a waist high floor cabinet for the pantry -- I want it fairly deep and with a good surface for working.

The bathroom shelves are going to be the biggest problem. I'm pulling out a vanity in there (have been working on it for two years :haha: ) and am going to have to remove a bunch of plumbing, which has been the biggest hangup. I finally realized I'm going to have to get a plumber in here over my break because I have a mess of other plumbing things to do. Then, I want to build fairly deep ceiling to floor open shelves there for towels, bathrobes, all kinds of stuff.

Those things alone will make a huge difference in my messy quotient here.

Of course, I haven't told you all about the three cabinets full of cookware. Which are the source of a lot of the problem. :D A mess of that will be gone pretty quick, though.

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

:worship: Thanks for the kick... I needed a jump start!

This week the local Catholic church and a local dry cleaner team up to take coats in almost any condition to clean and then give away to people who need them. So I have two coats we don't use very often to give away.

We're going through our videos and discarding the ones we never look at... wish I felt comfortable giving them away but most of them we bought thinking they were one kind of show and discovered when we watched them that they are absurdly (and unnecessarily) violent. Presumably someone will want them, but I wouldn't offer them to friends with kids. And they're all PG!

Got the garage cleaned out and everything stored for the winter... we must have done something right because all the vehicles fit under cover this year!

And... sold some furnishings. We certainly were using them, but selling them made us empty them and make choices, plus it makes our space much less cluttered. And we got some cash out of it, which went to paying for animal feed.

:)

15. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I've been avoiding this thread cause I'm WAY behind!
    I did get a cavity filled at the dentist, some spots removed at the dermatologist, a hog butchered and scraped and some trash burned outside this week. :haha: :haha:

16. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"I've been avoiding this thread cause I'm WAY behind!"

No, no, NO.............remember.......you are never behind just start from where you are. :haha:

I have been at this off and on for almost three years now and I really have a great deal of the house in tip-top shape and easy to maintain. My problem is the spare bedroom that I have the computer in and everything else in the whole world that I don't know what to do with. I have made zones in the outbuilding also and just work my zones as I get the opportunity to.

17. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

OK, I have to hand it to ya'll, everytime I walked into the kitchen today I felt guilty about the pantry, so I worked on it. I got one full trash bag, a handfull of things for the attic (these are keepers, a doll cradle my grandfather made for my mom, jackets too small for the oldest but kept for the next, etc) All my Christmas wrap is under my bed since I wrap gifts up there away from prying eyes. I took out one can of paint that was bad, and usd another to touch up the kitchen wall. Pushed all the paint to the back and brought out the water to clean and refill the bottles. I do have dh's beer "collection" in there and I'm thinking I will haul it to the basement the next time I head that way. I wanted to put up another shelf in there for storage but the shed is locked and (I hope) dh has the key.

So you are turning into my motivators, as I certainly wouldn't have done all this today if I hadn't posted about my mess. Of course I neglected the rest of the house today so I have to play catch up :rolleyes:

Carla

18. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Thank you Diane, I hadn't thought of it that way! I feel so much better. :D

19. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Um..... can anyone join in? :eek:

I could list my 'guilt' areas that need cleaning, or suffice it to say.. I moved here five years ago.. and there are STILL some boxes out in the other garage/shop. :waa: :waa:

BUT.. on the UP side.... In the last few weeks, I have shampooed my carpets, moved the two litters of Pekingese puppies outside, built them a nice pen, donated and delivered furniture from NE Texas to Houston to Austin!! (A story in itself!! LOL); and rented a booth in an antique collectible mall in Dallas, 2 hours away, so I can FINALLY get rid of some things that I refuse to just GIVE away out here in la la land. ('Give' would probably be more like paying to run an ad... then.. end up throwing it on the burn pile!).

At least, FINALLY, I feel like I have half a chance on catching up on Moving in!!! :eek: My 'ultimate' plan/goal is to get rid of a lot of stuff, and downsize, or live very sparsly here.

You girls are so Inspiring!!! :worship:

20. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Anyone can join, chickflick! We're the messy people. :D We're the inclusives, not the exclusives, which is one reason we're so messy :rolleyes: but likely all of us have been messier than everyone else at one time or the other.

My decluttering this week is of cookware. :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha:

This will really hurt. But it's got to be done! :yeeha: