Clutterers!!! Time to check in!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 29, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:yeeha:

Okay, clutterers, time to check in and let everyone in on your progress!!

:yeeha:

Here's mine: I was going gangbusters decluttering all my file cabinets and pulling things out willynilly to toss, and gave myself a sinus infection yet again from all the dust.

:waa:

Then visitors from out of the country for real showed up :eek: and for some cockamamie idea I decided to become a vegetarian, then I broke the hot water faucet on the bathtub, although i did manage to continue being mostly vegetarian, even though I have a raging sinus infection thanks to my decluttering.

:waa:

However, I have managed to part with two never worn pairs of fashionable trousers, a really stupid jacket that looked like a good idea about 7 years ago, and some other clothing. Plus an entire grocery sack full of electrical cords that go to a number of *somethings*, all of which I haven't had for 4-5 years.

So how is everyone else's decluttering going? Or are you all hiding? :haha:

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I carried off a couple of car batteries that where no good,also some burnt oil that had been here for some time.
    Umm but i found a good lawn mower trailer axle complete with bearings in the metal bend.So i ended up adding back to the pile.
    Oh i cleaned out my junk closest.Um but ever thing got put in the shed. :(

Ok i get at least a D for making an effort right! :D

3. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

lookslike everyone is hiding, posted this morning about the clean-up of my cousins trailer, me and the kids will be staying in this winter, she is a garage sale fanatic, if she only paid .25 cents for each thing in her kids rooms that we burned it would of been at least 5,000 dollars, the stuff could not be saved, thanks to roaches and mice, not even thinking about her dogs messes in there, took us 2 days to burn it all. if i hadn't been there, having no attachment to the things she would of kept at least 1/2, made her promise me she would only give her kids enough clothes for 6 day's and 2 sets for the weekend and a nice set for church, there is no reason for so much stuff, she is a single mom and could of spent that money else where, plus she was washing all the time, so i hope she will take my advice and save some money and have extra time.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I've managed to clean out my linen closet (threw out 3 bags of stuff- mostly rugs), cleaned out from under the kitchen sink (also, 3 bags, mostly empty bottles and wet icky stuff), cleaned under bathroom sink (one bag, but it was HEAVY!- mostly old meds). In addition, I've cleared the kitchen table (much easier to wash, now) and the top of the dishwasher (I nearly forgot what it looked like!).

I, also, vacuumed all my books and dusted lots of things in the house (still lots to go, though). Oh, and I cleaned a shelf over my kitchen door. Hubby was impressed that it was made of wood, and not fur. Things are starting to look so much better and I've tossed out nearly 60 bags of trash!

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Wow, Lisa, you go girl! :yeeha: :yeeha:

And Gayle --- :eek: :worship:

Okay, that's that. I'm back on it tomorrow morning!! :yeeha: :yeeha:

Clutter can't run and clutter can't hide from me! :yeeha:

6. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Joined flylady - Sunday did the "crisis cleaning" 15 minutes each in Kitchen, living room, bath then repeat as needed. ;-) Piles of garbage went out plus my truck is loaded with stuff for good will.

Junk is flying around the Deberosa household. My sink is shiny, I know where the laundry is - HUNG IT ALL UP! and my shoes are on my feet. :haha:

7. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

countrygrrrl ~

You DO realize I'm avoiding the storage room, don't you? :eek: I know I'll get a pickup load out of there. :rolleyes: I'm wishing I'd done it first and got it out of the way.

8. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

deberosa, my shoes are in the vestibule and the laundry is on the floor (but it's sorted). Well, at least my sink is shiny. LOL

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha:

I look at it as *a process*. :D I've been doing this over a year now, and I'm still doing it. :rolleyes:

But what seems to be happening is this; I get rid of the first layer of clutter, then discover the second layer, which is composed of things I was certain I could NEVER get rid of. Then I get rid of that second layer and POOF here comes the third, which is the layer I've been certain for five years I could never get rid of!! Then that layer goes and POOF here comes more clutter!

:rolleyes:

It's pretty ridiculous.

But it really is getting better!! :yeeha:

10. bornanew

bornanew Well-Known Member

Working hard at decluttering and downsizing. Hopefully we'll get this place sold for another with a considerably smaller mortgage soon (we've been on the market since the first week of June and have a really terrible agent, we'll be selling it ourselves when the contract expires this week). We already have a couple places we have our eye on but the square footage is smaller than our current place. So bye-bye to all the unused items in our lives :haha: .

Born Anew

11. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We did well today. Load of things taken to the garden shed and stored. Hubby put shelves in an unused shed for storage. Found some more horse things I no longer need so I priced and tagged them for sale. Called some "horse people " I know and told them about the horse stuff. Sold our finishing mower and had an offer on our pinto mare who needs to find a new home. Hubby spent 2 hours in his shop sorting, throwing out and giving away. Load of things (non-recycleable) to the dumpster. Load of things we want to keep to the storage unit (so handy @ 3 miles away). We added to the homestead: some 55 gal. plastic drums to make a floating dock for our ducks and we will put 2 on the dock for nesting shelters. Also got 3, 5 month old chickens the family did not want anymore. Did I mention the drums and chickens were free! Tomorrow hubby wants to spend another 2 hours sorting in his shop, finishing cleaning out the area where my car goes and another load to the storage unit. Yikes...we may really be ready to move by Dec.1st...Joan :eek:

12. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi All!
    I got to decluttering today. I have a guest bedroom with a large closet in it. The bed hadn't been made in over a year and a half. That was the last time my sister came to visit. I had stripped it and washed it and piled the linens on top of the bed. They were buried on it with other stuff that had been dumped there. I cleaned out the closet. It was like going to a flea mkt. I found stuff I didn't remember having. A lot of clothing got recycled. Home interior that I had bought and stored is going to be put up on the wall.

I cleaned up the floor and made the bed. Time for company now. :haha:

13. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

OT..............

Has anyone seen the new show on PBS? It's called "Life Laundry", comes on here at 8PM Saturday,check local listings.

Anyway, it's from England and a couple come into homes that are packed to the ceilings with clutter. The way they handle it, they take all contents of the room and put it outside. Need good weather for this. Then the owner and them go through everything and it goes in 4 piles. One..... keepers, two...... toss it, three.......... charity donations and the fourth goes to a "Car boot show" our version of flea market. It's really an eye opener to what some people keep hanging on to and why.

This past week they had a couple who were old "Rockers", he had his first set of drums from 30 years ago buried, and didn't even know he still had them. She had every thing she ever bought since they married. It was pretty funny watching this. She wanted to keep all her mini skirts, (picture a 50yr old in mini skirt, unfortunitly I don't have to, I've seen them), and every pair of shoes she owned (100's). They had 3 dumpsters full of trash and made some good money at the fea market, plus finally got to see the walls and floor in their home.

If you get a chance watch it.

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

LOL. You know what my big success is? I got rid of enough stuff so everything that should be on a hanger IS on a hanger! Whooee!

15. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

AHHH, you guys make me crazy. Clutter is my anchor to the world. Without it, I would float off to deep space. I love my clutter.

16. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

hmmm

i live to clutter... but, since i have no money, i am now selling my clutter....

actually daughter and i cleaned house tuesday... and it has stayed clean so far ... my hubby is still in shock.. today while he is at job interviews i am going out and looking for some branches to make a hat rack with.. he wears cowboy hats and there is just NO great way to store them.. because the 3 he owns HAVE to be in the living room.. just incase.... so right now they sit on my rocking chair that i never get to use...................

tonight... for the first time in years, we will actually be able to sit down together at the kitchen table and eat as a family... i am looking forward to that.

my chore for today is to go thru a couple more boxes of things to find things to sell at the corner this weekend..

and look for all the teddy bears i have saved over the years to make some of those wax dipped bears to sell. (more info on those on the craft and recipe topic).

Have a great day all..

Lynn in Texas

17. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hello all! :)
    We just moved in June and are still surrounded by boxes of stuff we're wondering why we even brought...Seemed like a good idea at the time. Have decided we need a large storage shed for all the things we don't use but can't live without.
    Don't know if anyone has heard of Freecycle~ it is a great way to get rid of stuff (and get more is you so desire...) :)
    http://www.freecycle.org/
    Have a great day all~ :)
    Steph

18. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I attacked the bedroom and my o my the dust bunnies do enjoy themselves under the bed... ;)
    I cleaned out my dresser and tossed and washed and found some clothes that I had not seen for awhile. The shops grease rag drawer is being filled again. :)
    Found over $30 in bills and several bucks in change. I knew the change was there but a welcome surprise for the bills. :D
    And socks... wow... I have somehow managed to collect enough socks tied together and they fill a chicken egg basket. A pretty yellow plastic coated one and it looks great sitting on the floor. Hmmm, I still wonder where the mates of the other socks are. :haha:
    Now for the other rooms. wow, had better back the wagon to the door. :yeeha:

I have been known to heat the house a bit more with clutter finding it's way to the woodburner. :eek:

19. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I have decided to make a habit of washing dishes each and every morning while I wait for the coffee maker to do its thing. We used disposables for so long while hauling water that I got out of the habit of dishwashing. :eek: There is no sense in letting them pile up till there is nothing to eat off!

Thanks for the inspiration, CG et al.

20. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Thanks to you folks, I can see the bed in my spare bedroom! WooHoo!
    You've given me the courage to admit that I AM A PACK RAT!
    I backed the pickup (ok it was a small Toyota pickup) up to the back door and started ridding myself of anything I haven't used or needed in the last 5 years.

I had tons of books, paperback and hardbacks, an electric typewriter that I will never use again, two portable sewing machines, clothes and shoes that my daughter outgrew.
    I did take a lot of things to the second hand store.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for giving me the de-cluttering fever! :D