Clutterers challenge!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by New Mexican, Sep 22, 2004.

1. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

Ok, I started......and CountryGrrrrrrrrrrl too.

Anyone else want to post what THEY de-cluttered? Maybe we need a support group for clutterers anonymous!!

Mine went to the Child Crisis Center resale store...

I had:

Three HUGE bags of clothing (amazing how the closet STILL looks full!)
    Old Avon Mrs. FPE Albee porcelain statues
    BIG BOX FULL of craft items
    Never-used or extra Tupperware
    Already-read novels and other books
    Purses
    Jewelry
    Knick Knacks that collected dust

Plus, I emptied out several drawers in a desk, nightstands and dressing table.

I feel GOOD!!!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

This week I took 4 grocery bags (paper) full of DD's clothes that she doesn't need and donated them to the thrift store. :)

3. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I'm going to have a yard sale. I already have 4 garbage bags and 3 boxes of stuff in the van for that. In addition, I've thrown out 17 bags of trash! I've only done half of one room!!!

4. Timedess

Timedess Guest

wow! good start! i'll let y'all know what i get out of this office... my plans got sidelined today so i'll try again tomorrow! :)

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I am carefully reading through Don Aslett's book, Clutters Last Stand. Stuff will hauled to the consignment store on Friday.

6. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I'm using Flylady, but she is a little slow for me, right now. I really need to get rid of all this dust! DD and I are living on antibiotics while we clean this up.

I'm stumped as to how it got this far out of hand. It isn't as if we don't clean! We clean a little everyday and a big cleaning twice a week. I guess we've just developed a lot of BIG blind spots where clutter is concerned. I think it's going to take weeks to go through everything. :(

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Gayle, if your place is anything like mine, plan on a year or so.

:haha:

I think the secret to it all is just establishing a routine. I've done several huge, major cleanouts, but even more important, everyday, something gets tossed.

:yeeha:

And once or twice a week, I tackle a major mess. Right now, it's the car. :eek: I've been out there with my Little Mean Green Machine and it will take another day with it to get the car even presentable.

:no: Pitiful, i tell you, just pitiful!

In any case, this week, I took to the thrift store:
    One car vacuum that plugged into the cigarette lighter (have no idea where it came from)
    One big light that plugged into the cigarette lighter (ditto as to its origins)
    A bunch of canvas covers for pillows with ducks on them (?)
    A pair of black sandals
    A gold purse (??)
    Three fashionable old shifts that had wonderful fabric but that i was just sick and tired of carting around just because they had such cool fabric
    The hand knit afghan my evil sister-in-law gave me 15 years ago
    Another pair of shoes
    Some unidentifiable clothing
    A pan

The trash, meanwhile, got a mess of old Ethnohistory (???) journals, a privately printed journal-magazine with a short story in it written by the daughter of one of my best friends (the daughter is just now going into high school -- I mean, I love my friend, but I also love my sinuses), two books in such horrible condition not even a thrift store would want them, and a lot of other paper stuff I don't remember.

This week: I tackle the car and the filing cabinets.
    :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha:

8. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I figure on it taking a while (probably till Christmas), but, don't forget, I have 5 helpers (maybe a bit unwilling, but who cares, they're still help and I can ignore the complaining)

9. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Boy, that sounded snotty! Sorry- didn't mean it that way.

10. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We are building our last house and have about 60 days to pack and move. Today hubby and I finished cleaning out the 2 tack rooms in the stable. I packed all the horse things that I want, cleaned and priced all the things that I am selling. There are 6 saddles, 2 pony harnessed, boots, bridles, blankets, halters, a sleigh, cart. etc. But it is DONE...Joan :haha:

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Don't worry, it didn't sound snotty --- except I could hear you blowing your nose.

:p :p :p

12. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Free Cycling is a wonderful way to get rid of stuff while helping out other folks who are short on $$$$. We have unloaded a boat load lately and it was as easy as posting it to the forum then answering an e-mail.

13. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I joined flylady.net! So far have done one 27 Fling Boogie, got the sink shiny and found my shoes. :eek:

Thanks for starting these posts - got my you know what in gear. :eek:

14. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I swear it's the allergies from all this dust! :waa: (I'm not crying, it's the allergies!)

15. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D

:yeeha: I've just reduced four filing cabinet drawers to less than one drawer, filling three 33 gallon trashbangs in the process.

If I don't fall asleep (always a danger after 7 pm :rolleyes: ), I'm cleaning out two more filing cabinet drawers.

16. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Prob won't get any more sorting done this next week. Got to build a chicken coop for the rowdies in the backyard. They took another growth spurt this week, I do declare! :haha: :haha:

17. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek:

Rowdy chickens???

What fun! :haha:

18. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

Ha! I just cleaned out my truck. Got RID of more junk from desk...was able to fill a box from the garage and empty IT too!

Woooo hooooooooo..........I'm on a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Why throw stuff in the trash or landfill when you can find a good home for it? The benefits are you're keeping the load on landfills down and you can find things you need. :D

Fla Gal

The worldwide (!) Freecycle Network is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a local volunteer moderator (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your city by clicking on the region on the right. It will generate a automatic e-mail which, when sent, will sign you up for your local group and send you an response with instructions on how it works.

You can find your local Free Cycle group, if there is one, by going to this link.
    http://tinyurl.com/643fg

20. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I can't do Freecycle because I have a clutter problem.

:D

If I did Freecycle, probably half the stuff posted would end up at my house. :haha:

That said, I also don't do plastics, except for durable goods --- I don't do tv dinners, sodas or so much of the other stuff which ends up clogging the landfills.

The stuff I put out in the trash is primarily paper (if I had a shredder, if would go in the garden, but hey!) and also food wastes which I dare not burn or put outside because of all the critters.

My usable goods go to various thrift shops, food pantries, crisis centers, etc. My unusable stuff gets broken down and burned eventually.

I know a couple of people (including my sister) who worry about throwing things out for a variety of reasons, including landfills --- the consequence is, their homes are pretty much unliveable because of all the things they refuse to throw out.

Worrying about landfills is a problem for people with clutter-mania. It can get to be as bad as people who spend all their time buying plastic organizing boxes for all their stuff, then spend their lives moving their stuff from box to box.

But there are ways to declutter which are more economically (in terms of landfill issues) than keeping the stuff. More important, once you get in the habit of doing it, you're no longer tempted to bring all that stuff into your house which causes so many problems in landfills.