Clutch freeplay/height

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by JV, Oct 5, 2004.

1. JV

JV Well-Known Member

So, I am in the process of working through tune up's in both of my vehicles (85 nissan truck and 91 corolla) and I have found the clutch height to be wrong for both of them. I can't seem to get motivated to get down under there and do a proper adjustment. Would someone be so kind to tell me why this is critical and what could be the result from knowing neglect. Thanks in advance.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Too little free play in the clutch linkage will cause the release bearing to run constantly. This will wear the release bearing out prematurely.
    Too much free play in the clutch linkage will cause the clutch disc to not fully release from the pressure pressure plate causing gear wear in the transmission.
    Many of the newer vehicles with hydraulic activated clutches do not have means to set the free play and is predetermined by design. The switch to hydraulics from mechanical linkage was only to the benefit of the manufactureres IMO. A hydraulic activated clutch with a defective master cylinder will cause the synchronizers to wear in the transmission. This is common in Ford F150's.