Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I slow down to stop I can hear a quiet clunking noise coming from the driveshaft, it's not bent. In the fall I had to drive through 2 feet of water, I was flooded in and had to get out, I would never do it again though. Anyways, what do you think the clunking is? I was wondering if I should grease the driveshaft and anything else under there, any tips would be appreciated. Would there be grease fittings/nipples I should be looking for? Hope you can help, thanks Chris

·
tom
606 Posts
sounds like you u-joint are going.yes there are grease "zerts" one on each u joint. have them replaced.there about 6-8$ a peice.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
canfossi said:
When I slow down to stop I can hear a quiet clunking noise coming from the driveshaft, it's not bent. In the fall I had to drive through 2 feet of water, I was flooded in and had to get out, I would never do it again though. Anyways, what do you think the clunking is? I was wondering if I should grease the driveshaft and anything else under there, any tips would be appreciated. Would there be grease fittings/nipples I should be looking for? Hope you can help, thanks Chris
I don't think there are any grease fittings to grease on the shaft u joints. Check the yokes and the u joints for wear and replace if necessary. Check the rear end input (pinion) for play and ck rearend fluid. When it went underwater did you drain the rearend fluids or check for water contamination?

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Check to see if this actually has u-joints or CV joints with rubber/plastic boots. DH thinks this may have the CV joints instead of the U joints. If U joints you can replace them, if the other type you may have to replace the whole shaft (comes as an assembly).

If it's clunking, it's most likely too late to add grease, its already too far gone. If you have U joints, should be no play and if there is (Get under there and grab the drive shaft) If there is play, the joint is bad.

If it has the other type it may feel like there is a bit of play, as they are not the same type of joint. If the boots (rubber part) is worn and dirt has gotten into the CV joint, they are junk.

Cathy

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll check it all tomorrow morning. Just out of curiousity, what would happen if things were left as they are now, would the shaft fall off or something? No the rearend fluids were not changed after the water. Thanks Chris

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
yes...it will clunk around for a period of time and then there will be so much play that it will snap the u joint. depending on whether this happens at a moment of high or low rpm, the damage to the under carriage, brake lines, fuel lines and floor boards may be great or minimal. if you find slop in that universal joint, you best replace it asap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You have u-joints, they may have been replaced before and alot of low cost part stores sel " lifetime" u-joints that are pre-greased and have no zert fittigns so you may be the unlucky in this department.

With your vehicle turned off, parking brake set and transmission in first gear crawl under your Jepp and try to twist the driveshaft clockwise and counter clockwise. If it is moving, while continuing to turn, look at the u-joint where it connects at your transfer case, look for movment there. Then look at the u-joint where it connects to your rear differential.

If you do not see movement in your u-joint look at the rear end ( differential). Look at the pice the u-jpint is bolted to ( pinion) se iff it the turning back and forth much. It might move a little bit which is ok when a say a little bit I mean 1/8 inch or so.

You will notice your driveshaft is made up of two parts that slide together. Where they slide together could have gotten play in it. For this test you will not twist but push up and down on the driveshaft look for ANY movemoent up and down.

I hope this helps, whatever it is you need to change your differential fluids now. Both front and rear, water in the diffs will lead to serious axle problems.

I used to compete in Rockcrawler challenges all over the country and if we went through water we would change our fluid soon as we got home sometimes at the hotel that night if we were in alot of water. And our seals were were always new ( due to breaking axles and such), our rigs always had to be in top shape due to us beating the crud out of them on the trail.

If you need any further help let me know, we also owned a custom 4X4 shop for several years so I have some experience in that department,

Cheers
WWO

P

·
0 Posts
canfossi said:
Thanks, I'll check it all tomorrow morning. Just out of curiousity, what would happen if things were left as they are now, would the shaft fall off or something? No the rearend fluids were not changed after the water. Thanks Chris
Yes, they will greak and it can be dangerous, especially if it is the front one. That will allow the front of the driveshaft to drop down on the road and if it catches in a pothole or something, it can cause your car to flip. Happened here awhile back and killed 2 people.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I checked things out, the rear driveshaft has no play whatsoever, can't even rotate it by hand (it was in first grear when I tried this) and there are grease fittings on any of u-joint knucles. Now, the front driveshaft I can rotate it maybe an 1/8 of an inch but no play up/down or to the side. No grease fittings on this either. What could it be? Thanks Chris

·
Jack of all trades
320 Posts
canfossi said:
Okay, I checked things out, the rear driveshaft has no play whatsoever, can't even rotate it by hand (it was in first grear when I tried this) and there are grease fittings on any of u-joint knucles. Now, the front driveshaft I can rotate it maybe an 1/8 of an inch but no play up/down or to the side. No grease fittings on this either. What could it be? Thanks Chris
You cant check the driveshaft with it in gear you have to apply parking brake or chock it so there is no tension on the driveshaft. If you had it in that much water all your fluids should have been checked and it should have been greased after take it to shop and have it checked it could be dangerious. Had a guy loose a driveshaft going down the road knocked the whole rear end out of the truck totaled the truck almost lost his life N.S.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Get under the TJ, twist the drive shaft and push it left, right, up, down... Do it with both driveshafts because the TJ's front driveshaft is always engaged.

There's also the possibility that it's the u joint in the front axle shaft, but that noise would definitely be in the front.

If it were me, I'd grease every zerk fitting -- heck, grease everything but the bleeder screws on the rear axle by the wheels. Your needles on the u joints could be pretty rusty (depending on how long you were driving through the water).

Pony! (1982 CJ7)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts