Clun Forest Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kjerckie, Oct 28, 2004.

1. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was looking at classifieds in a AG paper. 'Clun Forest lambs for sale.' Had never heard of that breed and spent the next four hours on the computer reading about them. I am so hooked! Does anyone on this board raise them or heard of them?

I also was talking to a lady about sheep today and she said that oak trees/leaves are toxic to all sheep? Has anyone heard of that? I have a few trees here.

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Yes, I have heard of them,, and even got samples of their fleece.
    Nice fleece a little on the course, med course side, looks like it will spin up well.
    Would make warm outter sweaters and such.

When I wanted a few, a number of years ago, the only breeder fairly close to me was up in canada. There was some thing going on with importing at the time and the deal fell through.
    Was told they were gentle,, hence my interest.

Let me know if you get some,, and how you like them.

Here are some links on oak leaves and livestock.
    http://www.pprl.usu.edu/oak.htm
    http://kinne.net/oak-poi.htm

3. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Hi bergere,

I really like the alert look of them! Thanks for the oak links. My trees here, I've never seen produce an acorn or nut. I'll take some leaves to a vet and ask them. I'll be sure to let ya know if I get these sheep. Still playing phone tag with the ad, but there are two breeders listed in WA.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

My Soay like oak and hickory leaves and nuts. Of course the pigs love them too.

5. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

We have several oaks and hickories in our pasture. They love the leaves and nuts. They will even eat dead oak leaves.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

You are most welcome Karen!! Let us know when you get some Clun forest sheep!!

7. CCSheep

CCSheep Member

Karen:
    Just joined this list recently, and saw your post regarding Cluns. Did you locate some in Washington yet? I live in Ellensburg, have a few Clun ewes (they are great). I know of more in the state, if you need some information.
    Jami

8. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend up near Chocago that has about 60 of them. I believe he has crossed them with a Calif. Red. They are very good mothers, he has them in a semi-confinement and they do very well. I'm sure he'd sell some if anyone wants to buy some.

9. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

We have just committed to purchasing a small starter flock of registered ewes and a nice ram. We plan on growing the pure-bred flock and then cross breeding with another pure-bred ram for meat lambs. We have done a lot of research on various breeds and changed our minds a few times before settling on the Clun Forest. Can't wait to pick them up after Christmas. They are about 7 hours away...bit of a trip.

10. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

I saw some of these up at Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival in '05, I really like them. Short at the wither, long bodied, not too big. Small heads. If I were to pick up a meat breed, I would probably go with these.

11. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

With all of our research that we have done for the past several months, we can say that we think they might be the easiest lambing breed...or at least one of the easiest. Mostly twins too so there shouldn't be many bottle lambs to deal with. We are looking forward to our first sheep. I will post on our blog once we get them.

www.goldforestfarms.blogspot.com