clumped berries

Discussion in 'Goats' started by murphyjamie, Jun 2, 2006.

1. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I noticed today one of my little bucks has clumped up stool. I did give them oral ivermectin two days ago and today I changed from bahai to bermuda hay. (have no idea if I spelled that right!) Should I be worried about anything and if so what should I do. He is still eating and drinking normally. Thank you for advice. The people on this sight are a wonderful group of individuals.

2. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

someone please post a reply

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

If it is not really runny, or very loose, just watch it. Usually no big deal, especially if you made any changes. If it does not get better in 2 or 3 days, or gets worse, then you need to figure out what the problem is. You can always give him some probios, which will help his rumen. Never a problem with giving probios.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

You can also try vitamins and electrolytes in his water. I get it at the feed store, couple bucks for it and lasts me a long time. But there isnt' any rush unless it gets worse. Probably just the change. :)

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If by little buck you mean a kid, any change in diet can alter the stool. Your changing hay could well do it. Also on occasion when I've wormed a youngster with Ivermec I have noticed a temporary clumpy stool. Most of the time this will remedy itself and Probios always good to use.

6. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Anytime you change the diet, the little ones especially, show signs of upset. It usually only lasts a day or two then resolves itself. No need to worry. If no change, though, try a little elctros and warm water.:)

7. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We see periodic clumping for a variety of benign reasons...as long as it doesn't accompany any other symptoms - lethargy, fever, vomiting, change in appetite, etc...and resolves itself within a couple of days, you shouldn't have any worries. Can be stress, sometimes we have some that "hold it" and will clump first thing in the morning when they go out...any little change in diet...some of our does will clump for a little while after kidding...Probios is a good thing with a major diet change or if you have any digestion worries.
    Kudos to you for being so attentive, and concerned. Hope by now, your heart is at ease and everything is "back to normal".